Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cononomous View Post
    I do feel like Ham and the crew really don't do that much - sort of flap around and talk a lot, but never truly contribute in the actual scenes. For me, the Lord Ruler is also too minor an actual character to feel scary. He never does that much in the way of being really evil and frankly, I find he lets the nobles have way to much power, which takes away from his believability as a 'dark lord'. There was also some major points of contention/stupidity in the last scene (Mistborn: book one), which I can't talk about here.
    By the time you finish the third, you should have a better perspective on some of these items. I can't guarantee you won't feel different, but you are still lacking a complete view.

What's great about Sanderson's books and his magic systems, is that his books are basically all from the same universe (I think it is referred to as the "cosmos" or something). Basically some magical items have been scattered throughout the planets in this "cosmos" thereby vesting magic abilities in certain people. In each of the books/worlds, these magical items manifest in a different manner. I like the concept as you read through different Sanderson books (except for WoT of course).

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Ok,I've finished the first book. While I enjoyed it I don't have a burning desire to grab the next volume right away. Sanderson's strengths are his imagination (magic system and general worldbuilding) but his chief weakness is writing. I found it to be a tad too juvenile at times, without much variety in tone. Most of the characters start as cliches and stay that way. Still, Sanderson is a definitely a talented storyteller and I'm sure he has learned a lot since Mistborn with WOT and all the other books he's been writing.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    By the time you finish the third, you should have a better perspective on some of these items. I can't guarantee you won't feel different, but you are still lacking a complete view.
    Problem being, I'm not sure if I'll bother with the third. Definitely not my favourite series.

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    Ok,I've finished the first book. While I enjoyed it I don't have a burning desire to grab the next volume right away. Sanderson's strengths are his imagination (magic system and general worldbuilding) but his chief weakness is writing. I found it to be a tad too juvenile at times, without much variety in tone. Most of the characters start as cliches and stay that way. Still, Sanderson is a definitely a talented storyteller and I'm sure he has learned a lot since Mistborn with WOT and all the other books he's been writing.
    Yes, I liked his new one "The way of Kings" a lot more then I enjoyed Mistborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cononomous View Post
    Problem being, I'm not sure if I'll bother with the third. Definitely not my favourite series.
    Not really a problem, that is completely up to you. But a lot is revealed in the third book that changes some perspectives of the first book. So for those that have finished the series, they will see some of the items you mentioned a bit differently.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    Not really a problem, that is completely up to you. But a lot is revealed in the third book that changes some perspectives of the first book. So for those that have finished the series, they will see some of the items you mentioned a bit differently.
    For me, the reveals in books 2 and 3 made the series as a whole better and it made more sense.

You guys are making me want to read on!

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    So I just started Mistborn(Sorry Sullivan, I wanted yours next but I didn't have the book. It's on order.). I found a few threads already about this, but upon reading a few sentences I saw things I didn't want to see yet. I do this with almost every book I read, I hope it doesn't annoy people. But I wanted a spot where I can voice some opinions and ask some questions free of spoilers and the like.
    Haha...no worries. I personally really liked the way Mistborn starts out. Very strong fast-paced beginning. I think you will enjoy.

Obviously it'd be a spoiler if you answered me. But it appears pretty obvious that the Monologue before each chapter is the "Lord Ruler" talking. He started out as being a good person and things just started getting worse and worse. And/Or possibly the person that committed the deeds to become the Lord Ruler isn't necessarily the evil person acting as Lord Ruler right now?

Obviously it'd be a spoiler if you answered me. But it appears pretty obvious that the Monologue before each chapter is the "Lord Ruler" talking. He started out as being a good person and things just started getting worse and worse. And/Or possibly the person that committed the deeds to become the Lord Ruler isn't necessarily the evil person acting as Lord Ruler right now?
    We shall see :P

Finished the series 2-3 days ago. It may not be great writing, but it was entertaining as hell.

A massive thumbs up from me.

Because his writing was not overly complicated and the dialogue "light" at times I assumed I knew where certain plot twists were going. I was surprised nearly every time though...which is very rare for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post
    Because his writing was not overly complicated and the dialogue "light" at times I assumed I knew where certain plot twists were going. I was surprised nearly every time though...which is very rare for me.
    Cool. I am much the same. I personally believe it comes from reading/watching too much. So many movies and TV shows surprise people the same way. That when they introduce something mysterious there is only a few logical conclusions if they wish to surprise people. Which are normally not a surprise at all to anyone paying attention. A good example was Shutter Island. I turned to my wife 12minutes into the movie and said "I bet he's the 13th patient and this isn't what he thinks it is..." (or w/e # it was) I'm sure I'm no genius for figuring that out. Should I have spoiler'd that comment?

Anyways, I am almost done with book and have been somewhat surprised a few times. I like it so far. I like the logical magic. Coming from Malazan it's a breath of fresh air. I do wish they
    Spoiler:
    didn't kill Kelsier off.
    Judging from the next two book's titles and the way this one is going. My guess is he didn't exactly defeat the deepness, he probably just absorbed it. He's talking like he's afraid he will take the power for himself. Or he is the deepness incarnate? Anyways I also assumed either Vin or Kelsier was the true Hero of Ages. Something probably happens in the next book that makes Vin really powerful. At the Well of Ascension? Where now it is amazing that Kelsier could defeat one steel inquisitor, Vin at some point probably fights 3-4 at once or something(Kind of like The Matrix). There is also something to her trying to burn Saze's pewter metal. They wouldn't have mentioned it and had her try it, only to fail quickly. She can break a copper cloud, she can likely break a Keeper's metal. Lastly, for now, I believe there is a reason the skaa are so beaten down. The noble let live. We assume that the Noble are the only ones to have this Mistborn power. I can't quite figure it out, but there's something about the skaa. Maybe the instill this fear of the mist because the skaa can have power through it somehow? Vin mentions she feels like she is one w/the mist sometimes....because she is skaa/noble mixbreed mistborn? Am I close on any of these!? =)

Almost immediately after I said I bet the monologue is the Lord Rule they discovered a book that confirmed it, so I don't think he was trying to hide it much.

Anyways, I am almost done with book and have been somewhat surprised a few times. I like it so far. I like the logical magic. Coming from Malazan it's a breath of fresh air. I do wish they
    Spoiler:
    didn't kill Kelsier off.
    Chris, this is in response to your statement in your spoiler, so feel free to read now.
    Spoiler:
    I feel it was necessary. Keiser's role was to develop all the characters into the roles they need to play and he accomplished it beautifully. From an author POV, if Keiser was still around, he would be handicapping the rest of the crew. I loved his character too, but he had to go. And it was a fantastic way to do so. It was like ObiWan sacrificing himself to Vader to push Luke where he needed to go..except handled even better.

Judging from the next two book's titles and the way this one is going. My guess is he didn't exactly defeat the deepness, he probably just absorbed it. He's talking like he's afraid he will take the power for himself. Or he is the deepness incarnate? Anyways I also assumed either Vin or Kelsier was the true Hero of Ages. Something probably happens in the next book that makes Vin really powerful. At the Well of Ascension? Where now it is amazing that Kelsier could defeat one steel inquisitor, Vin at some point probably fights 3-4 at once or something(Kind of like The Matrix). There is also something to her trying to burn Saze's pewter metal. They wouldn't have mentioned it and had her try it, only to fail quickly. She can break a copper cloud, she can likely break a Keeper's metal. Lastly, for now, I believe there is a reason the skaa are so beaten down. The noble let live. We assume that the Noble are the only ones to have this Mistborn power. I can't quite figure it out, but there's something about the skaa. Maybe the instill this fear of the mist because the skaa can have power through it somehow? Vin mentions she feels like she is one w/the mist sometimes....because she is skaa/noble mixbreed mistborn? Am I close on any of these!? =)
    I am not going to comment either way on any of these, but I will say that your logic on a lot of them is quite sound. It will be interesting to see your take on them as you finish up the series.

Almost immediately after I said I bet the monologue is the Lord Rule they discovered a book that confirmed it, so I don't think he was trying to hide it much.
    Sometimes the best place to hide answers is in plain sight.