View Poll Results: Do you use you write fiction on your phone?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 37.50%
  • no

5 62.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kongming View Post
    In addition, it has handwriting recognition software.
    Has that got better than it used to be? I haven't attempted to use handwriting recognition for about five years, but last time I did it certainly couldn't read my writing. Admittedly, sometimes I can't read my writing...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    Has that got better than it used to be? I haven't attempted to use handwriting recognition for about five years, but last time I did it certainly couldn't read my writing. Admittedly, sometimes I can't read my writing...
    I think it's pretty good. It's about as fast as my typing it on an actual keyboard, certainly faster than typing it on a mobile keyboard and it flows better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gVMd-JZ14

In that example, they write and entire paragraph and then format it, I usually just go with one or two words at a time as that's the default in the wordprocessor.

A house on a hill somewhere in Australia.
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but only when I have nothing else to write on/with, which is rare as I take my laptop/ipad with me or a notepad and pen.

I write notes, ideas, bits of scenes on the Samsung Galaxy S2.

Hi everyone, I have been lurking awhile and finally registered an account to reply here. Great topic, since I have recently started writing again and have been obsessing over the decision between a phone, tablet, phablet, netbook, etc. for a couple weeks now. I am hoping to write a novel eventually, but I need to figure out a way to make use of all the spare time I have, since there is so little of it. Thus I am trying some things out at the moment to see which one will be most useful for writing on the go. The choices seem to be between a 7" netbook, a word-processing keyboard called the Neo, a LiveScribe Pulse SmartPen, a bluetooth keyboard for my phone, and the classic notebook and pen. The real litmus test is going to be can I do any serious writing while spending a couple hours out of the house in a coffee shop. Since I have an infant son, the coffee shop will be quieter than the house!

The item I am currently trying out is a 7" netbook. The netbook has these pros: light weight, long battery life, can jump on the internet when needed, and stores a good amount of writing since you can drop in an SD card or USB stick. It has these cons: cramped keyboard with punctuation keys moved around so I keep getting interrupted as I type to figure out why I accidentally hit the enter key when I wanted an apostrophe; long boot time so if I have a good idea it takes awhile to get there; and the fact that typing in general makes me personally sit there and fiddle with the construction of each sentence, since it is so easy, which interrupts my flow.

But this makes me consider adding a Samsung Note to my list of things to try, because I did not realize that the handwriting recognition software was this good now. Kongming, a question I have is does it recognize cursive very well? I generally write in cursive when writing by hand, but in the video you linked the person was printing.

On my phone? No its not big enough. On My Kindle Fire? Yes. Have a WiP wrote entirely on a Kindle Fire using Quick Office Pro, its about 40 percent done. I never timed it but i would be willing to bet my word count per minute is about the same or better as a traditional keyboard, and its way more portable and pleasing to use then a laptop or netbook. It does have its limitations, mainly with editing (cut copy paste etc), so i would say it is limited to doing the first draft but all and all it has helped my writing process by making it more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewscott View Post
    But this makes me consider adding a Samsung Note to my list of things to try, because I did not realize that the handwriting recognition software was this good now. Kongming, a question I have is does it recognize cursive very well? I generally write in cursive when writing by hand, but in the video you linked the person was printing.
    I contemplated all the things you did and thought of all those different devices as well. The cursive seems to work even better than the printing.

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityKgt View Post
    On my phone? No its not big enough. On My Kindle Fire? Yes. Have a WiP wrote entirely on a Kindle Fire using Quick Office Pro, its about 40 percent done. I never timed it but i would be willing to bet my word count per minute is about the same or better as a traditional keyboard, and its way more portable and pleasing to use then a laptop or netbook. It does have its limitations, mainly with editing (cut copy paste etc), so i would say it is limited to doing the first draft but all and all it has helped my writing process by making it more accessible.
    cut, copy and paste are fine on the note: in fact the paste might be better because you can choose from around ten copied things. The only limitations so far are the lack of spell check and ability to format the document. But then again, I planned on printing the manuscript to edit anyway.