Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well this thread seems bound to be derailed by myself others, and anyone else.

Interesting quandary that. What is the limit of human understanding, and can we fully understand the supernatural or the mundane?Given the infinite number of reasons and facts that would need to be in place to support every law of existence, there would have to be an equal amount of reasons. Thus it is my conclusion that it is impossible to know everything, no matter what sort of mind is studying this existence or calculating all known factors.

Also Vinegar, I question why you're here.You seem like one who's not only more interested in science fiction but perhaps even has a certain disdain for fantasy fiction and it's fans and writers.Especially since you seem so hell bent on derailing this thread.

About the only works these days I can find by authors with an understanding these days seem to be only concerned about writing of what I have described in a contemporary setting somewhere on earth.About one of the only authors who may describe it such a way that I can find is David Eddings, specifically the Elenium series, and I've heard some less than flattering things about his work (some of it on here.) so I'm hesitant to seek any of his writings out without heavy research or analysis first. In general it seems though that outside of the urban fantasy segment of the genre, such things are lacking or are just very hard to find in general. I cannot determine which is true. Also Seli, I checked TV Tropes and I could hardly find a damn thing.Perhaps it is spread out under a number of different categories on that site though and I'm just not looking in the right place.Once again, I cannot really tell.
    Last edited by Riothamus; October 13th, 2012 at 01:04 PM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is the nature of discussion Forums for discussion to meander. This really should be borne in mind when embarking on such perilous tasks, and further more when the discussion involves politics and religion/beliefs.

So we're allowing a little leniency here, though please bear in mind what has been politely asked by the moderators above. Think we're happy for it to wander a little, though we're not happy when members trade insults at each other. It is so easy for such comments to be misread.

I've been thinking about these matters in fiction. John Dee was (I think) a real person who we would see today as an occultist who has appeared in Fantasy Fiction.

James Blish's Black Easter might work in this regard. Though some regard it (and especially the connected novels in the series) as SF, the first book is set in history and has a Fantasy-like angle to it. Mary Gentle's White Crow series is based on the occult and Mathematics too, I think.

Might be worth a look for those thinking around the connections between fantasy, magic and science.

Mark
    Mark

Congratulations, Riothamus - you win! You obviously don't like me, and I'm not here to pointlessly bicker with complete strangers. Also, I'm having trouble figuring out what your point actually is. You appear to have some kind of religious agenda, and since I was under the impression that we were discussing matters of pure fiction, we are obviously not both having the same conversation. Since I don't even understand what you're trying to say, except the bit about wanting me to go away, I hereby cede this thread to you. You started it, so that's only fair. I trust you will have the courtesy to ignore me just as I will ignore you from now on. I will of course be delighted to continue a discussion of made-up magic in a fictional context in a different thread which is actually about that, as opposed to whatever Riothamus is trying to say here.