Series heavy in mystery and political intrigue?

Hi all, read most of the well known popular fantasy out there at the moment and in doing so have discovered that I prefer the political intrigue and mysterious side to the massive bloody battles and huge epic fantasy with 50 main characters.

Books where the main character discovers something terrible and no one will believe him, and.. oh wait the powerful, friendly and wise MrX will believe me for sure! 'talks to MrX, he believes me!, and he is just about to make it all right and OHHH NOOO hes been horribly assassinated and whats more I have been framed for the murder! now everyone hates me and everyone loves the real culprit. Oh whats happening now, the murderer is making a move on my friend and love interest I must warn her, she doesnt believe me and is slowley turned against me and everythings falling apart, now me and my crew of misfits gotta sort it out. - Really love this type of thing.

Anyways been looking about for weeks and weeks and cant find any series that catches my interest, the best I have read so far is the Farseer trilogy or Mordants need and have searched this forum many times.

Currently reading the Drizzt series but not really my thing, seems kinda childish and predictable so would love some suggestions or links to similar discussions, preferably something thats finished.

Thanks!

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    a recent series, that should be easy to find, is Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin with two books out: The Dragon's Path and King's Blood. It is unfinished, but Abraham is rather reliable in his output and next year there will probably be a new book. The dagger refers to various plots and wars and the coin to the banking world and it's sometimes more subtle influence on world affairs. There is magic in a low profile GRRM style and a mysterious religious cult that has its own agenda for world domination. The content is mature without going overboard with gore, sex or profanity.

Other possible titles, finished series:
    Paul Kearney - Monarchies of God
    Jennifer Fallon - Second Sons
    David Anthony Durham - Acaccia, War With The Mein

A song of ice and fire (game of thrones) was described on TV as a fantasy set Sopranos

Have you tried The Empire Trilogy (it begins with Daughter of the Empire) by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts? I found the series to be heavy on politics and better than any of the works that the writers had authored individually (imho).

The Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara is a Fantasy that very much fits the bill, though it is still ongoing, with eight books and a novella published so far. It follows the equivalent of a cop as she investigates mysteries and tries to navigate various intrigues among the different races that populate the city of Elantra. I found the first book to be rough at times, but thought that the series quickly improved, and continues to improve.

The same author also writes as Michelle West, and has a long-running unfinished epic fantasy series that deals with quite a few elements, the political most of all, though the political elements are felt as strongly in the first 2-3 books. There is a lot of world-building and a lot of backstory and some mysteries definitely make their way into the story as well. There are several different possible starting points though, and I explained more about those in this thread here (with no spoilers in the first post) : http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...ssalieyan-Epic

Carol Berg's Collegia Magica series has mystery and court intrigue. It's a completed trilogy.

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    If you don't mind older series, try the Deryni books by Katherine Kurtz. People praise Marting for a darker tone and killing off main characters - but he wasn't the first one to do it!

I also was going to mention Martin, Fallon, and Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    a recent series, that should be easy to find, is Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin with two books out: The Dragon's Path and King's Blood. It is unfinished, but Abraham is rather reliable in his output and next year there will probably be a new book. The dagger refers to various plots and wars and the coin to the banking world and it's sometimes more subtle influence on world affairs. There is magic in a low profile GRRM style and a mysterious religious cult that has its own agenda for world domination. The content is mature without going overboard with gore, sex or profanity.

Other possible titles, finished series:
    Paul Kearney - Monarchies of God
    Jennifer Fallon - Second Sons
    David Anthony Durham - Acaccia, War With The Mein
    I've been meaning to ask about Acacia, but I haven't been able to find much information on it so that I might make a proper assessment about whether I'd like to read it or not.

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    There's also Jacqueline Carey, if you don't mind some alternative lifestyles stuff.

N.K. Jemisin is somewhat similar (but not as graphic or long-winded).

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Acacia is a traditional epic fantasy with a lot of political manouvering thrown in, and that's why I mentioned it. Four royal children (chosen ones) are all destined to change the world through either their magical abilities or their military prowess. It's a huge setting, spawning two or three continents, two major empires and tens of smaller nations, historical references going back thousands of years, armies clashing, piracy, slavery, drug abuse, love, betrayal, genetic experiments, and much more.

Since you liked Farseer, you should take a look at Hobb's Liveship Trader series. A lot more romance and the plot is much much deeper than the Farseer trilogies.

A bit of a hit and miss when it comes to Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet, but it is one of the best when it comes to political fantasy.

If you don't mind sex scenes (lots), Carey's Kushiel series is pretty famous and well liked.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Think ill go with Acacia and also The Curse of Chalion that I recently came across.

Read GRRM / Liveship / Long Price and have been looking at Hundered Thousand Kingdoms for a while just reluctant to take up another series with a female main character, same with Kushiel. Missing out no doubt but I like to be able to relate, enjoyed Mistborn for instance but didn't really like Vin.

Also Red Country which will be arriving shortly but will blast through that in a day no doubt.

Cheers.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Just finished Raven's Shadow: Blood Song. It has everything you're asking for and more. It's book one of a series. Didn't look to see how many books are planned.

Reek rhymes with geek
    It's a standalone AFAIK, but Lowtown is a good mix of criminal enterprise plus political intrigue and mystery. Among Theives could be described the same way, but I see both of these as more Underworld Fantasy than Political Fantasy.

If you want something political and different and that has a male main character, try the Area 51 series by Robert Doherty. Also Michelle West's Sunsword & House series is awesome.