Hybrid View

Good Sci-Fi books with NEWTONIAN SPACE TRAVEL recommendations

Hi,

I am looking for a couple of good Sci-Fi books/book series where the space travel is done as much as realistically possible.
    By realistically I mean using Newtonian physics for space travel, spaceship fighting, orbital approaches and so on.
    No FTL travel, no quantum stuff, no wormholes, no warp drives.

Your recommendations will be really appreciated.

Also, if there are any Sci-Fi new generation authors that got a raw, rough, violent, crude storytelling style like GRRM (ASOIAF), Steven Erikson (Malazan) and so, I would also like to have some recommendations on them.

If there are sci-fi new generation books that got both the Newtonian Physics and GRRM like storytelling, that would be paradise, lol.

Thanks in advance.

interesting.. i would really like to read something that has rather realistic space travel.. anyone has come across such books? please share!!

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Paul McAuley's Quiet War series.

Outcasts of Heaven Belt by Joan D. Vinge

http://www.rattlesnake.com/notions/outcasts.html

Antares Trilogy by Michael McCollum

http://www.cybermage.se/antares-dawn...m-book-review/
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ntares_Passage
    http://www.scifi-az.com/antares_victory_reviews.htm

It has wormholes called folded space nodes but these stories have pretty good Newtonian physics for the ships when they aren't doing the interstellar jumps. McCollum is an aerospace engineer.

psik

Thanks Chuff and Psik, I gonna check them out. Folded space nodes are something that is even possible as far as Relativity goes, so no problem on that. But, the thing that I would really love is something like REALLY realistic, kinda like what Joseph Shoer gets in his articles about the real physics of space battles. I know that would be somehow boring for people that love star wars "dog fights", but the concept of huge spaceships, with not but armor and cannons, "jousting" in space, is something that really entices me.

How about sci-fi crude and rude like GRRM? Are there any good books like that? Blood, fire, rape, huge battles, grayish characters (not good or evil), betrayal, more betrayal, peevish women rulers that decide to eliminate whole civilizations, with excruciating pain and suffering, just because they got upset as their incestuous brothers don't want to sleep with them anymore, evil wizards/scientists that like to burn and torture people just for the fun of it, and create walking dead zombie monsters that will come back from the dead to kill people they think are guilt, or just kill innocent people for the sake of it. Oh, and don't forget, when you start to like a character they get killed with a terrible and very painful kind of death. You know, the usual goodies.

hmm, let me correct myself: if a folded space is a relativity possibility, that kinda of folded space node McCollum describes is somehow very impossible without some really huge quantum allowance. Just got some excerpts of his books. But, anyhow, I really like his descriptions of the spaceships and the way they move when under real universe physics (when not quantum jumping around... exactly as you said). Thanks again, Psik.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0101010101 View Post
    How about sci-fi crude and rude like GRRM? Are there any good books like that? Blood, fire, rape, huge battles, grayish characters (not good or evil), betrayal, more betrayal, peevish women rulers that decide to eliminate whole civilizations, with excruciating pain and suffering, just because they got upset as their incestuous brothers don't want to sleep with them anymore, evil wizards/scientists that like to burn and torture people just for the fun of it, and create walking dead zombie monsters that will come back from the dead to kill people they think are guilt, or just kill innocent people for the sake of it. Oh, and don't forget, when you start to like a character they get killed with a terrible and very painful kind of death. You know, the usual goodies.
    Stephen Donaldson's Gap series. Not Empire scale but definitely very grey characters.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    Outcasts of Heaven Belt by Joan D. Vinge

http://www.rattlesnake.com/notions/outcasts.html

Antares Trilogy by Michael McCollum

http://www.cybermage.se/antares-dawn...m-book-review/
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ntares_Passage
    http://www.scifi-az.com/antares_victory_reviews.htm

It has wormholes called folded space nodes but these stories have pretty good Newtonian physics for the ships when they aren't doing the interstellar jumps. McCollum is an aerospace engineer.

psik

I was looking for this links. Quite informative and lead good help for us.

boca raton website design
    Last edited by martinhcoat; November 2nd, 2012 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0101010101 View Post
    Hi,
    Also, if there are any Sci-Fi new generation authors that got a raw, rough, violent, crude storytelling style like GRRM (ASOIAF), Steven Erikson (Malazan) and so, I would also like to have some recommendations on them.

If there are sci-fi new generation books that got both the Newtonian Physics and GRRM like storytelling, that would be paradise, lol.
    Iain M Banks is your man. The culture novels have some pretty hardcore characters and while nothing like as grimy as Erikson, his style is a little more towards that realistic grubbyness that makes it all seem a bit more human.

And as someone else said above: The Algebraist. It has a nice meaty battle with more realistic physics in it, but it's combined with a bit of super-science as well. Oh, and one seriously evil motherf***** is in it as well for your enjoyment.

Someone already mentioned Stephen Donaldson's Gap series, which I will second. It directly influenced ASoIaF (GRRM nicked Donaldson's rotating-POV structure with each chapter named after the character it's about) and has realistic physics apart from the 'gap' itself, a form of FTL through space-folding.

There's also the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey (a pen-name for GRRM's friend Daniel Abraham and his assistant, Ty Franck) which takes some influence from GRRM and uses fully realistic physics, with no FTL.

Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy also fits the bill, aside from its FTL which is quantum-based. The actual space combat sequences are done using Newtonian physics and also more realistic-than-normal tactics (such as the use of unmanned drones for combat at distances of tens of thousands of miles).