Hybrid View

Sci fi assassin type of books to recommend?

Im thinking of SPACE/sci fi type of assassin style of novels. or even mercenary. it has to be in space, or just really futuristic. kinda like dues ex but in space and less cyberpunk. are there such titles around??

Ive been reading space opera books like enders game and old man's war, and now im looking for something of smaller scale, like some skilled assassin/mercenary or even thief story which revolves around the characters and setting, instead of big epic battles.
    The main character could be an assassin/mercenary/thief/bounty hunter. for example, the upcoming star wars game, 'Star Wars 1313' features a bounty hunter adventure and trying to uncover a truth to a criminal conspiracy. is there any books out there similar to this? but not star wars? or like kasumi goto from mass effect, a master thief in space!

thanks guys! Im new here btw..

The first thing to jump in my mind are the classic Stainless Steel Rat books by harry harrison. Well the early ones any way. Not really an assian, more like a none violent master thief. For something more recent have a look at sone of the military SF put out by baen books. They have a great free library and you can download a lot full books to try an author. Recently I read Destiny's Forge by Paul Chaffe, Set in Niven's Man-Kzin war series. It can be read as a stand alone book.

Jim

thanks for replying! im beginning to think the thread will die off. D: stainless steel rat looks like a decent book that fits my description. i'll definitely check it out.

For something more recent have a look at sone of the military SF put out by baen books. They have a great free library and you can download a lot full books to try an author.
    there are way too many authors/titles on baenbooks, could you shortlist some books youve read from there? thanks again!

I read a few by John Ringo, There will be Dragons was interesting. and the read the Prince Roger series by Ringo and David Weber. Although that series had an almost never ending series of escalating battles each bigger than the next. I really enjoyed Hell's Gate and Hell hath no fury by Weber and Linda Evans. Although that series is unfinished. (I want more!)

But check out what's on the free library. http://www.baen.com/library/authors.asp.

I also liked the Vatta's War Series by Elizabeth moon, but that is published by Del Rey. Not really an Assain/bounty hunter story, but the story of a young woman who fights to rebuild her family's trading empire after it is attacked and destroyed. There is lots of intrigue and more than a little spying.

Richard k morgan takashi kovacs is a good set of books not exactly what your after but should be right up your alley by the sounds of it

You could try Use Of Weapons by Iain Banks. Follows a Special Circumstances agent, covering two separate narrative streams. One of my favourites by that author.