the greatest sci fi war

hey dudes
    i made a thread a little while ago asking for great space exploration novels.
    now im asking, because i will also wamt to read them later, which novels, or series have the greatest sci fi wars, in scale, scope, sheer brutal war.
    everyone loves a good galactic war right?

Well there is the Honor Harrington series which must be about 15 books by now, it spans more than 20 years in the series timeline. It starts off as between the Republic of Haven and and the Kingdom of Manticore but is now involving the Solarian League which includes Earth and hundreds of other planets. It can get very political and not just battles. Sometimes I find that aspect interesting and sometimes it's a bore.

Over all I like the Antares Trilogy by David McCallum better but it is only 3 books. The Harrington character gets annoyingly melodramatic.

The Man-Kzin War series. The Bolo series. Hammers Slammers, but that does not involve many planets as I recall. Haven't checked that out in years.

psik

2 of my favorites were "In Death Ground" and the sequel, "The Shiva Option" by David Weber and Steve White. Huge, brutal battles. Well written.

Helium Vs Matai Sheng and everyone else. A Princess of Mars & sequels Edgar Rice Burroughs
    The Empire Vs the Rebels. Star Wars etc
    The Lensmen Vs Baddies In General. Triplanetary etc. EE Smith
    Culture Vs Idirans Consider Phlebas and other Culture novels Iain M Banks
    Pretty much anything by Peter F Hamilton
    The Forever War Joe Haldeman
    Starship Troopers Robert Heinlein
    Martians vs. the World War of the Worlds HG Wells (and a million cheap derivatives ever since)
    Dune Frank Herbert

Also, not just novels:
    Ming the Merciless Vs Flash Gordon
    Federation Vs Romulans/Klingons/Borg
    Humanity Vs Cylons

Blog Entries
    If I could be so shamelessly bold to suggest Planet Janitor Custodian of the Stars--an epic SF adventure to a hostile planet. Starship Troopers mashes up with Robinson Crusoe on Mars.
    http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Janitor...0380990&sr=1-2

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

http://www.lunch.com/reviews/book/Us...h_Warfare.html

psik

"Prador Moon" Neal Asher. Plus many of his other books have large fights with enormous body counts!

Blog Entries
    The Vatta's War and Serrano Legacy series by Elizabeth Moon are pretty epic.

Dread Empire's Fall Series by Walter Jon Williams