Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    awesome guys. got lots of suggestions here. also. AE Van Vogt is one of my all time favorites so i have a nice collection of his stuff already, including Voyage.

Ill throw Blindsight by Peter Watts in. No planets explored, just a BDO of sorts. An awesome book that I know youll love. And, its free! You can get it from his website.

I loved Pushing Ice too. My only complaint with it was the end. Reynolds reallllly needs to expand on that book with some short stories.

"Unto Leviathan" By Richard Paul Russo.

In The Ocean Of Night and Across The Sea Of Suns by Gregory Benford (titles link to the Wikipedia articles on the two novels - be warned there are spoilers). The first is basically "artififact arrives in Solar System", the second probably fits the details of the original request far better but I would recommend reading the first for background knowledge if nothing else. They're the two precursor novels to Benford's Galactic Centre tetralogy (which is also worth reading).

Quote Originally Posted by Vandervecken View Post
    In The Ocean Of Night and Across The Sea Of Suns by Gregory Benford (titles link to the Wikipedia articles on the two novels - be warned there are spoilers). The first is basically "artififact arrives in Solar System", the second probably fits the details of the original request far better but I would recommend reading the first for background knowledge if nothing else. They're the two precursor novels to Benford's Galactic Centre tetralogy (which is also worth reading).
    Seconded, 2 of my most read and re-read books ever.