Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by s271 View Post
    Nop, "hard scifi" is SF which doesn't contradict to at least high-school course of physics. For example faster than light shouldn't be possible at least locally and preferably globally. No force fields, lightsabers, perpetual motion, space pirates boarding moving ship, etc.
    I disagree a bit - hard sf is something that has a universe with consistent laws based on our current understanding of physics; eg in Greg Egan upcoming Clockwork Rocket, the universe is not Einsteinian but Riemannian (the metric is ds^2 + dt^2 rather than ds^2-dt^2 in our universe, where s is distance, t is time, units are such that c=1); he worked very hard at deducing and speculating what happens in such a universe - check his website for a lot of such details in addition to what is in the book - and that book is hard sf otherwise the term means just mundane sf which is something very different imho

Reynolds is pretty hard sf under any reasonable definition

...if it quacks like a duck...

sorry that adds nothing to the argument. I don't like his characters though. Probably about the 7th time I've said that in this thread...

Shatterling wannabe Fire Servant's Avatar
    I agree his characters tend to be weak. But because of his ideas and settings, I tend to look forward to his stuff more than any other sci-fi...

I can't disagree. I get and read them immediately too, but there's so little good sci-fi released that's in that sub-genre [ducks exact argument about which] that it's inevitable. Some of his stuff it great!

Shatterling wannabe Fire Servant's Avatar
    his almost offhanded hard sci fi descriptions are great... his space situations are great... even his social structures are interesting. the first one i read was Chasm City and i remember thinking 'if only i cared about these characters, this would be flawless'...

ha, yeah exactly that.

I suspect he's somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, which is of course great for technical detail....