Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Published Novelist
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    26

    Silence of the Lambs

    Is Silence of the Lambs horror? I consider it to be, but my friends all say no.

    But think about it -- Hannibal Lecter mutilates people and is ultimately creepy. The creepy transsexual was also something that should be considered. I've seen the movie like 5 times and it still gives me nightmares.

  2. #2
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,254
    We had this discussion not long ago.

    General consensus is "Yes".

    But really, can we not say "creepy transsexual"? Please? I know those of us who consider ourselves to be trans can be a little weird, but I don't think we're particularly a trope of horror stories Plus it implies things I don't think you quite meant.

  3. #3
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    We had this discussion not long ago.
    Indeed we did, started by none other than Kenneth2 himself. Well, a similar enough discussion:

    Hannibal Lecter

  4. #4
    Published Novelist
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Indeed we did, started by none other than Kenneth2 himself. Well, a similar enough discussion:

    Hannibal Lecter
    Oh, I completely forgot. Feel free to delete this thread then.

    By the way, I didn't mean to imply that transsexuals are creepy. I was saying that the one in Silence was creepy, but not all transsexuals are like that.

  5. #5
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,254
    Just be careful with how you say things, that's all. I'd argue "the character who wanted to make a suit of skin" would be a better description *winky face, dangit*

  6. #6
    I agree that Silence of the Lambs is a horror novel. It's a terrific novel. However, from memory, the book does take care to point out that the Buffalo Bill character is not a true transsexual and was, in fact, deemed not suitable for surgery. As far as I can remember, the book does go on to say that most transsexuals are non-violent, peaceful individuals. On the other hand it would be nice to read a horror novel/thriller where a transgendered character is actually sympathetic and either a murder victim or a demented killer. Ho hum.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Bladder View Post
    I agree that Silence of the Lambs is a horror novel. It's a terrific novel. However, from memory, the book does take care to point out that the Buffalo Bill character is not a true transsexual and was, in fact, deemed not suitable for surgery. As far as I can remember, the book does go on to say that most transsexuals are non-violent, peaceful individuals. On the other hand it would be nice to read a horror novel/thriller where a transgendered character is actually sympathetic and either a murder victim or a demented killer. Ho hum.
    Did you mean, "and [not] either a murder victim or a demented killer"?

    If so, see The Drowning Girl by Caitlin Kiernan; one of the main characters is transgendered, and the novel is either horror or dark fantasy, depending on ... well, probably on the mood you're in at the time you read it. The Red Tree leans more toward horror; this one has a slightly softer feel.


    Randy M.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    Did you mean, "and [not] either a murder victim or a demented killer"?

    Randy M.

    Yes, that's what I meant. That'll teach me to post without proofreading!

    Thanks for the recommendation of Red Hill. I've also just remembered that Poppy Z Brite's Crow novel has a positive transgendered character.

  9. #9
    Published Novelist
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Bladder View Post
    I agree that Silence of the Lambs is a horror novel. It's a terrific novel. However, from memory, the book does take care to point out that the Buffalo Bill character is not a true transsexual and was, in fact, deemed not suitable for surgery. As far as I can remember, the book does go on to say that most transsexuals are non-violent, peaceful individuals. On the other hand it would be nice to read a horror novel/thriller where a transgendered character is actually sympathetic and either a murder victim or a demented killer. Ho hum.
    There was an episode of the Mentalist where a transgendered man is neither murdered or a killer. However, he is presumed to be dead until the end of the episode.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •