All Women Gain Superpowers

I know this is a random question, but it ramdomly popped up in my head when I was watching a TV show of some dort last night...

All women on the planet gain superhuman powers, on about the "level" of Spider-Man, or anyone considered in his league. Powers and levels vary, but fall under the "traditional" powersets we think of: strength, telepathy, speed, flight, energy blasts, etc. Nothing too complicated, useless, or bizzare.

What impact do think this will have in various societies/cultures across the world? Remember, this isn't just a handful of people, this is half the human population on Earth, and the half that has throughout much of human history been considered the physically weaker, more "delicate" half of the species.

Assume this applies to future generations as well, so that no men will be born with superpowers despite having a super-powered mother.

Interesting.

I'd actually like to see this written - I think it's a great idea to play with.

Actually, it'll be more interesting to see it happen in real-life. I am a male, but a world like this shouldn't be too bad, as long as I don't be one responsible for putting women on their period. Other than the females become the more "dominate" gender, what's the worst that could happen in this scenario? I forsee rape becoming non-existent, which would totally be great.

I also feel like since female humans tend to be less aggressive (due to lower levels of testosterone), that the world will likely be a more peaceful place.

Overall, it would benefit the planet if cooler heads prevailed.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cer1992 View Post
    I also feel like since female humans tend to be less aggressive (due to lower levels of testosterone), that the world will likely be a more peaceful place.

Overall, it would benefit the planet if cooler heads prevailed.
    I think women as a group are far too complicated for statements like the above.

And, I'm afraid, a world as you have described would mean the disappearance of men. Take for instance: ant colonies. Or any other hive society where the female (the specie propagating half) "rules". The reality is that in most, if not all, of these cases, the males play a very small role. They provide the sperm (usually once in their lifetime and then they die because they are no longer useful), and the females take care of the rest. I have no idea if ants go to war or not, but I would think we'd still have similar (though, I imagine, not as severe) problems as we do today. Humans are humans after all.

But I do think you are right on one point. Rape probably would cease to exist as we know it today (whether men become redundant or not).

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    I think women as a group are far too complicated for statements like the above.

And, I'm afraid, a world as you have described would mean the disappearance of men. Take for instance: ant colonies. Or any other hive society where the female (the specie propagating half) "rules". The reality is that in most, if not all, of these cases, the males play a very small role. They provide the sperm (usually once in their lifetime and then they die because they are no longer useful), and the females take care of the rest. I have no idea if ants go to war or not, but I would think we'd still have similar (though, I imagine, not as severe) problems as we do today. Humans are humans after all.

But I do think you are right on one point. Rape probably would cease to exist as we know it today (whether men become redundant or not).
    As for your comment, whatever problems we are likely have in this new world, I bet they wouldn't be anything near or worse than what Hilter had done back in the 40s. Besides, if anything, I assume that, if this scenario was to be flipped, there would be a lot more men villains than there would be females. I'm telling you. So women may be sociopaths and have no regard for human life, but for the most part, the outcome won't be as bad as you people keep makig it out to be. I know a lot of women will abuse their gifts, but I think some will actually be a force for good and that the majority of these women will be neutral (in other words, maintain the same attitude). On top of that, while women will have the ability to shoot lasers, telekinesis, read minds, flights, there will be a large handful who'll have the ability to heal others from sustained injuries, which is, in my eyes, the best superpower out there.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cer1992 View Post
    Hee hee. You've obviously never been down Darlington on a Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    . I have no idea if ants go to war or not,
    They do and not just against other species of ants or termites. African Driver ants, Army ants and Fire ants (to name a few) will slaughter every living thing in their path, even small mammals and process them as food.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    Hee hee. You've obviously never been down Darlington on a Friday night.
    Indeed! Teenage girls in London, as well as other British cities can be just as drunken, violent and thuggish as their male couterparts.

Not convinced that rape or violence against women would become non-existent overnight. There's a lot of psychological and emotional factors involved. Having the power to defend yourself and actually using it don't always go hand in hand. Then of course there's the "reasonable force" issue. If a woman used what may be considered "excessive" force, she may find herself being arrested.

I don't see why men would become redundant. They can be pretty useful beyond doing the heavy lifting.

I like to think that children in this world would be well protected! Maybe anyway...

I'm kind of reviving a languishing thread here, but it caught my attention. If you write such piece, the take-off point would probably be cerebral. More and more neuroscience, via PET scans, is validating that females have a much larger proportion of the brain devoted to social interaction. Their capacity for empathy vastly outstrips that of males. In empathy tests (such as being shown pictures of suffering humans), women's brains light up like a Christmas tree.

Folklore has long known this (think in terms of the religious/magical role assigned to Mother Mary). Science at last agrees.

Fiction writers: Isolate the gene, push it forward, and see where the story leads.

-- WB