Who we thought were Gods could be Ancient Aliens...Compelling Stuff!

Hello All, I've recently read Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken (?spelling may be off) and I must say it had me thinking. I've always thought that human history was a bit off. Everytime I read or watched something about ancient civilizations and ancient sites like Puma Punku or the Nasca Lines and how/why they built these sites makes me 100% sure that we are missing a lot of the truth of our past. Mainstream views and what I see w/my own eyes do not mesh.

Any thoughts on this?

Bit of a wide question, but you may also enjoy 'Heavens Mirror'. Be careful though, there's some wacky ideas out there.

While I find the idea of ancient astronauts to seductive and compelling, and would be really cool if it were true, I just don't think it is the case. But I would reagerly change my opinion if there was some difinitive proof.

Jim

I have to guiltily admit that I enjoy the tv show. It is too much fun. I am sure 95% of the evidence can be easily dismissed but there are always those few tantalizing things that are not quite so clear.

It's startling and depressing to hear the name von Däniken again, when he has already been so comprehensively dismissed. His books and theories have long since been consigned to the garbage dump, and deservedly so. Why demean the achievements of our ancestors in this way? Humans have done amazing things, and to assign those achievements to supernatural or extraterrestrial agents is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    It's startling and depressing to hear the name von Däniken again, when he has already been so comprehensively dismissed. His books and theories have long since been consigned to the garbage dump, and deservedly so. Why demean the achievements of our ancestors in this way? Humans have done amazing things, and to assign those achievements to supernatural or extraterrestrial agents is horrible.
    I agree. Anyway, why would a supreme alien being, capable of travelling here, etc, etc, and creating life bother with leaving a species here that then needs to evolve before it has any real chance of founding a civilisation? Why not just create fully functioning, inteligent beings from the start ...? Evolution is a undisputable fact and cannot be ignored. Makes little sense to me however many ancient scribblings seem to depict a superior being from outer space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Hello All, I've recently read Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken (?spelling may be off) and I must say it had me thinking. I've always thought that human history was a bit off. Everytime I read or watched something about ancient civilizations and ancient sites like Puma Punku or the Nasca Lines and how/why they built these sites makes me 100% sure that we are missing a lot of the truth of our past. Mainstream views and what I see w/my own eyes do not mesh.

Any thoughts on this?
    My thoughts: You can't possibly be serious.

Von Daniken has himself admitted that parts of his books that described his eye witness accounts of 'Cave this..' or "Ancient document...' that were made up. Oh he of course made some excuse that he had it from a first hand source but made it sound as if he saw it himself as a 'dramatic moment'. Other people would call that lying. He was working as a night clerk at a hotel when he wrote his first book, not exactly a springboard for archeological research or making world wide contacts with a variety of obscure local experts in far flung countries.

Simply put his handwaving explanations, lying, and outright illogical conclusions should eliminate his work from ever being considered anything but light entertainment, and even that is giving too much credence to it.

There was an entire tv series dedicated to this idea called "Ancient Aliens" and there is a stack of books by a man called Zecharia Sitchin called The Earth Chronicles all about the same subject involving ancient Sumerian culture, the "Annunaki" and "Nibiru". The idea is basically what Von Daniken wrote in CHariots of the Gods and evidence is offered in alternative translations of Sumerian cuneiform etc

Quote Originally Posted by kahnovitch View Post
    There was an entire tv series dedicated to this idea called "Ancient Aliens" and there is a stack of books by a man called Zecharia Sitchin called The Earth Chronicles all about the same subject involving ancient Sumerian culture, the "Annunaki" and "Nibiru". The idea is basically what Von Daniken wrote in CHariots of the Gods and evidence is offered in alternative translations of Sumerian cuneiform etc
    By alternative translations I assume you mean selectivly cherry picking tidbits that support his already decided upon conclusion and ignoring a vast amount of information that contradicts it. According to what I have read Sitchin was nothing more than an amature translator and actual scholars scoff at both his translations and conclusions as being pitiful at best.

This entire 'Chariots of the Gods' scenario is completly made up and there is no evidence to support it. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and we don't have any. I agree that sometimes crackpots and their crackpot ideas can turn out to be true (Plate Techtonics or the Impact that killed the dinosaurs) but the vast majority are just that, crackpots.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    It's not 'door to heaven' it's 'stargate'.

"Who the hell translated this anyway?"

big grinning smiley

I'd like to add my two cents in regards to poo pooing this idea: it's also thinly veiled racism (and probably started out overtly so in the 19th century) suggesting that Africans, Native Americans and South Americans couldn't possibly have built those things: it must have been White people from space who needed... Gold :-$

That said, it's entertaining if you know that it's fiction but annoying that people let themselves get duped by people who just wanted to get rich. It's wrapped in this whole notion that somehow 'official/mainstream sources' are conspiring and lying when they have so much to lose by doing so but some random dude who can make money off of big lies and has nothing to lose by doing so is somehow more reliable.

Some info as to the above

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gods