Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Malazan Group Bracket Tournament!

Please check out the bracket here: http://challonge.com/malazan

In order to vote on the winner of each matchup you must register. But there is no email verification if you just want to vote. So plug in any email, and hurry and vote for your winners!

So instead of the standard 1v1 cage match. Since we all know the end would probably be Rake vs Icarium. Let's mix it up, since I am eager to do one and see how it turns out. I have grouped up various players and will insert them into a bracket and we can see who comes out on top. It's very hard to get groups together with people who are connected somehow. Also hard to get 64 groups that are somewhat similar in strength. There are stronger and weaker groups for sure, but after much time spent editing the groups I think this is pretty good.

I will probably have each round take roughly a week.

I added in the "Discussion" on that website a quick description of each character in the group. Most should know everyone listed, but just in case someone doesn't.

(MODS: I was unable to edit my previous cage match post. 404 internal server error. So I am creating a new one. Merge or delete old one if you want.)

Credit JLV for the "groups" idea.

Be sure to hover your mouse over the group to get the full list of characters in that group.(Still can't edit posts for some reason.)

Voted. Looks like I was the third person to vote based on the percentages, but then someone else submitted less than a minute after I did.

I just voted. Some of those brackets are complete no-brainers. For instance, who would vote AGAINST Icarium and Mappo? It was till fun agonizing over how some of my favorites got "gimped out" in the first round (Gesler, Stormy, and Ga'Rull vs. Kallor and tCG anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by AllWrong74 View Post
    I just voted. Some of those brackets are complete no-brainers. For instance, who would vote AGAINST Icarium and Mappo? It was till fun agonizing over how some of my favorites got "gimped out" in the first round (Gesler, Stormy, and Ga'Rull vs. Kallor and tCG anyone?).
    In my opinion, for most of these matchups you could make a case for any winner. Who would vote against Icarium, sure. But who would vote against K'Rul? Or Rake? Hood/Gothos combo? D'rek and T'ris? There are some pretty insane groups there. Gesler and Stormy are basically ascendants. And how crazy strong is a normal K'chain hunter? Ga'Rull towers over them and is a crazy assassin type.... You could make a case that Ga'Rull could beat Kallor by himself. Gesler and Stormy team up vs TCG? It's not as far fetched as you might first assume. And this is the reason I randomized the seeds. After a few tests I found that 1) Some groups are deceptively good. 2) Some groups are better vs certain types. For example. Karsa's group vs any magic user, i'd give Karsa the edge because of him nullifying magic.... But vs Dassem, Surly, or Ga'Rull? and 3) Sometimes we like to see someone like Bottle win.

I'm gonna be honest...I sometimes voted for the people I wanted to win rather than those I thought would actually win.

Its also hard because you know Erikson loves to turn the tide on the Gods and elder races.

Quote Originally Posted by 1jewhill View Post
    I'm gonna be honest...I sometimes voted for the people I wanted to win rather than those I thought would actually win.

Its also hard because you know Erikson loves to turn the tide on the Gods and elder races.
    I think many people will find it difficult to decide between their favorite and who they think might actually win. I would encourage people to pick who they think might actually win. But that doesn't mean a "weaker" group doesn't ever defeat a stronger one. Who's to say they can't simply knock Icarium unconscious before he can becomes unstoppable, and just beat up Mappo. You could apply that to any match up. It's not like each person has a power level and add up the levels and the highest group wins this thing. It's meant to be dynamic. It's also meant to be decide by votes, and you are free to vote however you want!

I've only read through the first three and half books but couldn't Caladan Brood just hammer the earth and be done with anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I've only read through the first three and half books but couldn't Caladan Brood just hammer the earth and be done with anyone?
    The hammer does not have that power directly. It is very powerful, but is meant to simply wakeup Burn when used correctly. http://forum.malazanempire.com/index...howtopic=23352

One more bump before we start the second round next week?

Going to finish the first round. Did anyone not vote? I need one more person to vote, I have two 50/50 matchups waiting...

Ryadd Eleis and Menandore
    vs
    Grizzin Farl and The Hounds of Light.

The Errant and Oponn
    vs
    Dejim Nebrahl and Dessimbelackis
    Last edited by chris777; November 5th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

CURSE YOU!!! forcing me to choose between Grub and Karsa, Mael and the bonehunters, edgewalker and hood!!!! CURSES!!!!

ROUND ONE COMPLETE. Please go back to the website and vote for round two: http://challonge.com/malazan

I dunno who's slacking here, but round 1 we had over 20 votes, and now round 2 we don't even have 10 yet! Get to voting people!

ROUND TWO COMPLETE. Please go back to the website and vote for round three: http://challonge.com/malazan