Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have just started reading this. At the same time I have Joe Abercrombie's 'Red Country' on audio in the car too and from work. Perhaps it's the contrast that Cameron is not coming away from all that well but I find the dialogue dull, characters rather forced and the writing clunky with too many clauses.

I appreciate it's a debut novel and I have read lots of good reviews so I remain hopeful ...though a little sceptical. I hope it improves ...
    Last edited by Eddy Gemmell; November 14th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

This one just arrived yesterday. . . Now you guys have intrigued me and I might give it a go!

Patrick

I loved this book. Even though it's the first in a series, it still has it's own story arc that wraps up nicely in this volume, while still building a lot of interest for the future installments. Hopefully I feel more articulate soon and can post some more in depth thoughts on it.

Blog Entries

Any one read The Red Knight by Miles Cameron?

I have found and read an 'official review' of the book but even with a search was unable to unearth anything here on the forum. Has anyone here read the book and have some impressions they can share as to if it was worth the read to them?
    Thanks much!

I read it, one of the best 10 books published in 2012 for me. here is the "official" review: http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/908.html

Your searching powers are lacking my friend. Just kidding, I realize the new forum's search functionality isn't that great.

Here's the thread where a few of us have read it:

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I did use the search function.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
    Thank you. I did use the search function.
    Yeah, right! Good luck with that. It's the one feature that has been broken since I first joined the site. If you use two words for search it will only pick one of them. Also, you have to pick the option for searching only titles for better results.

The interview with the author on Fantasy Book Critic may be of some interest. I found his approach, outlook and views very appealing!

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...ameron-ii.html
    Last edited by Revenant J J; February 4th, 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks revenant. The author writes military history stories as well as fantasy, and it shows. Whilst I did get mildly irritated by the multiple perspective character changes, sometimes three on a page, it was one of the better epic Fantasies I read last year. Once into it, I found it difficult to put down.

Mark
    Mark

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Thanks revenant. The author writes military history stories as well as fantasy, and it shows. Whilst I did get mildly irritated by the multiple perspective character changes, sometimes three on a page, it was one of the better epic Fantasies I read last year. Once into it, I found it difficult to put down.

Mark
    Read this book last year. Found it quite good. The prospective changes were a little off putting, but a minor complaint once I got used to them. Should be another great series as the book leaves you on the trail to the next adventure.
    Last edited by DurzoBlint; February 8th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all! I'm in!

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy09 View Post
    I read it, one of the best 10 books published in 2012 for me. here is the "official" review: http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/908.html
    Another review of the book can be found here.

I read it last week with modest expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. An early candidate for my list of best books published in 2013.

I read this recently and ultimately felt that there were a couple of problems that outweighed the good elements of the book. I was initially enjoying the fact that the author was setting up several potentially interesting storylines but i was a disappointed by the fact that quite a large portion of the book is ultimately taken up with in-depth, overly long battle scenes. The author is apparently an expert in medieval military history, and this does allow for authentic and well described battle sequences. The problem is the sheer volume of these (they literally do seem to make up the majority of the 650 pages) , and the fact that it is hard to work up too much enthusiasm for reading yet another round of scenes of Boglins/Irks etc attacking the Red Knight's forces at Lissen Carrack. It's a pity that the book doesn't quite work out, because the author writes well and has created an interesting (if not hugely original) world/backdrop for the story. The other problem I had with this, and this is something that the author can't be blamed for, is the terrible proof reading job that was done of the book. In the UK trade paperback edition that I read there was an unbelievable volume of typos/misspellings etc. One of the worst examples of this that I have seen from a reputable publisher.