Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo 2012

My daughter is doing it. She's going to a local write-in on Thursday. With my laptop as we have to get hers fixed. I've spawned a monster.

My employment situation (or lack thereof) is such that I have to time to give it a go this year. I am looking forward to it and this will be a real departure from my usual fussy writing style where I type a line and then agonize over it and change it 3 times before deleting it and starting a new line. This is flat out speed writing.

Since I live out where the buses don't run and have any cheap at home internet options I imagine I'll only drag myself to town once a week to use the free wifi at McD's to post my progress. It helps that I like their coffee even more than Tim Horten's. In Canada, admiting that is the only hanging offense still left on the books.

Jim

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow - glad to see all the enthusiasm!

KatG - I hope your daughter does well.

Jim - you'll have no problem being distraction free. Go for it!

DailyRich and Slynt - good luck with the official word count. I know you both can do it.

Igor - tie one hand behind your back and sit cross-legged when you write. That should bring ya back down to human word-counts!

Santaria - you can try the unofficial version with us?

Looks like it is just me and Nou that are doing it unofficially.

I came up with a quick logo for those of us doing it unofficially. Ta-da!

For those not participating in NaNoWriMo (or my lame InNoWriMo), check back throughout November and cheer us all on! We can all use your support!

Okay, as of posting, we have...4.5 more hours to go...hold your breath...gird your loins...sharpen your swords...don the armor...and get ready for...

InNoWriMo 2012!

Or NaNoWriMo 2012.

Quick question: So the deal is I just add the current word count to the "Update Word Count" link? Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Blog Entries
    Correct. You could go hang out on the forums, but that will distractyou from writing! Or you could check out your buddies' progress (I am ne_white) or keep writing!

1036 words in late last night after midnight, with more to come today.

So when (if) I pass 50,000 words, what happens then? I've tried looking up the information but it's all a bit vague and I am a bit dense.

Nothing, really, as far as I know. You get a little internet badge that says you completed NaNo, but really, it's just that: a 'you did it, congratulations'!

My progress so far, on Day 2: 2873 words.

Well I will be informally participating too
    Today, I wrote two chapters - 6,100 words total.
    Igor

Has anyone actually read any novels written in NaNo?

PS The SFWA say anything over 40,000 is a novel. Does this mean we can cheat a bit and still get our feelgood?
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; November 2nd, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great progress Wulfen and Igor! Woohoo!

I got a scant 350. And I have to work this weekend, so I will likely not make up the unwritten words. Ah well.

@JunkMonkey - I have just read a NaNoWriMo novel: The Dead of Winter by Lee Collins, published by Angry Robot Books. Reviewed for SFFWorld.com in the literature sectiOn.

It can happen!

I just went for it, kind of. Decided not to outline too much - made a little synopsis. I've got 5061 words so far, feeling good about that. Not feeling good about getting stuck right now, but a night's sleep might help me out with that. The best part about this project is realizing that if you put the time in, it's really not that hard to do about 1600 words a day (well I've written on average 2000). But I haven't edited one word, and that feels kind of weird. Just forging on ahead with the vaguest of plans

Two more chapters, I did 6,300 words today. Plus three articles for me website.
    Igor

Well, I've written the blurb:

The Night of the Living Living

Infected by a behaviour-altering pathogen which spreads by having its host consumed, most of the Earth's population have turned into shambling Zombie-like creatures who relentlessly pursue a dwindling number of unaffected, vegetarian survivors. Can the hopelessly outnumbered vegans resist the zombies offering themselves as food? Can they hold out against the hordes of shambling undead as they find new and ever more mouthwatering ways to cook themselves before their helpless victims? Only one man, born without a sense of smell and immune the temptations of aromatic braised zombie liver nestling in a jus of man gravy, can avert the end of the humankind.

In a race against time to save humanity as it fricassees itself around him, he sets out on his quest armed only with a supply of Granola bars and an unquenchable belief in tofu. Can he make it?

Fully Illustrated with 24 pull-out, wipe-clean recipe cards.

I suspect this is as far as I will get.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; November 4th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Oh, JM! That had me grinning. You must write it! As an (almost) vegan, I rarely see one as a protagonist. Your tale would be a shinny beacon for us few! Unquenchable belief in tofu?! Brilliant!

I had to travel/work today. Nothing written.

But, great to hear about everyone's progress! Keep it up!