Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Time to Vote for Goodreads Choice Awards - Fantasy

It's that time of year again. Fifteen books have been nominated in 20 categories, including Fiction, Nonfiction, Mystery, Memoir, Young Adult Fantasy, and many more. Voting is open to all 12 million Goodreads members, and winners will be announced in December.

Go vote for your favorite here.

Instead of consulting publishing experts or a judging panel, goodreads looks to readers to find the best books of the year. We analyze statistics from the 170 million books added, rated, and reviewed on the site in 2012 and nominate based on a book's number of ratings and average rating. So a nomination is truly an honor because it comes straight from the readers!

This years nominess are:
    • Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson
    • Bridge of Dreamsby Anne Bishop
    • Casket of Souls by Lynn Flewelling
    • City of Dragons by Robin Hobb
    • King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
    • Percepliquisby Michael J. Sullivan
    • Some Kind Of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce
    • The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks
    • The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind
    • The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin
    • The King's Bloodby Daniel Abraham
    • The Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan
    • The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King
    • The Woman Who Died A Lotby Jasper Fforde

Stephen King got my vote as he's the only one I've read from that list.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Stephen King got my vote as he's the only one I've read from that list.
    Excellent book & the only one I've read off the list (that I didn't write). I must read Robin Hobb's latest.

I was blown away when Prince of Thorns was a nominee last year (and shocked that it made the final). To have King of Thorns in there is just great!

Anyone wondering what difference it makes could look here: http://www.princeofthorns.com/kot_stats.JPG

I saw the same thing last year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    I was blown away when Prince of Thorns was a nominee last year (and shocked that it made the final). To have King of Thorns in there is just great!
    Congratulations. I was similarly surprised (heard about it from someone on twitter). In 2010 The Emerald Storm was nominated, which was even more surprising as it was the only self-published title that year. Percepliquis is kind of a hybrid. Orbit released the ebook and I put out the paperback. Being the last book of six, I don't expect much, but it is truly an honor to be included in this list.

It's too bad Abercrombie's Red Country didn't get on the list. I think in a couple months time it probably would have qualified. I've only read two from that list (Percepliquis and Some Kind of Fairy Tale), but I plan on getting around to reading at least King of Thorns, The Killing Moon, and The Blinding Knife by the end of the year. I really wish they wouldn't hold the vote so early in the year.

As it stands, I voted for Percepliquis.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    It's too bad Abercrombie's Red Country didn't get on the list. I think in a couple months time it probably would have qualified. I've only read two from that list (Percepliquis and Some Kind of Fairy Tale), but I plan on getting around to reading at least King of Thorns, The Killing Moon, and The Blinding Knife by the end of the year. I really wish they wouldn't hold the vote so early in the year.

As it stands, I voted for Percepliquis.
    I'm sure that Joe's Red Country will be on the list for next year. Thanks for voting for Percepliquis. I think they have the cut-off early so that they can announce in December. Turns out to be a boon for me thought ;-) Seriously all those books that you have yet to get to are...I'm sure very good as well. I've heard good things about each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    I'm sure that Joe's Red Country will be on the list for next year. Thanks for voting for Percepliquis. I think they have the cut-off early so that they can announce in December. Turns out to be a boon for me thought ;-) Seriously all those books that you have yet to get to are...I'm sure very good as well. I've heard good things about each of them.
    Is that how they work it? Re-arrange the calendar a bit to allow for a December announcement? Makes sense. I hope to see Red Country on the list next year then.

Without trying to flatter, I doubt that any of those three would have knocked Percepliquis off the list (outside of maybe the Jemisin). It was a great ending to a great series. I'd have to look back at my 2012 log, but I think the only book I've read that was released in 2012 that I rated higher than it was Red County. There are 2 yet to read that I expect may contend, being Sharps by K.J. Parker and The Killing Moon.

I do want to say that Some Kind of Fairy Tale was also a good read. It didn't have quite the impact on me that The Silent Land did, but it was still thought provoking for me.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I voted for The Killing Moon, although I liked the second Dreamblood book better, and I will probably pick Sharps by K J Parker and King's Blood by Daniel Abraham as my 2012 favorites. But I like what N K Jemisin tries to do to fantasy and how she does it. There's a number of titles I didn't get around to yet, and a new book by Catherynne Valente that might also make it to the top.
    Congratulations, Mr Sullivan for the nomination, I think I voted for you last year, so now I picked something new.

Blog Entries
    Is that how they work it? Re-arrange the calendar a bit to allow for a December announcement? Makes sense. I hope to see Red Country on the list next year then.
    Yes...they do allow for a full year of books...Those that are "too late in the year" are moved to the next year's eligibility.

Without trying to flatter, I doubt that any of those three would have knocked Percepliquis off the list (outside of maybe the Jemisin). It was a great ending to a great series. I'd have to look back at my 2012 log, but I think the only book I've read that was released in 2012 that I rated higher than it was Red County. There are 2 yet to read that I expect may contend, being Sharps by K.J. Parker and The Killing Moon.
    I do think Percepliquis ended the series "in style". I don't think I could have come up with a better ending than that. As to the other books...well they are all from Orbit, so they must be doing something right in their acquisitions strategy - I'm glad you are a fan of their chioces.

I do want to say that Some Kind of Fairy Tale was also a good read. It didn't have quite the impact on me that The Silent Land did, but it was still thought provoking for me.
    I must admit this was a new one for me. But it is on my radar now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    I voted for The Killing Moon, although I liked the second Dreamblood book better, and I will probably pick Sharps by K J Parker and King's Blood by Daniel Abraham as my 2012 favorites. But I like what N K Jemisin tries to do to fantasy and how she does it. There's a number of titles I didn't get around to yet, and a new book by Catherynne Valente that might also make it to the top.

Congratulations, Mr Sullivan for the nomination, I think I voted for you last year, so now I picked something new.
    Thank you for the congrats. I'll not complain with losing to a fellow Orbit author. Ive not started her Dreamblood series yet, but I have heard many good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    As to the other books...well they are all from Orbit, so they must be doing something right in their acquisitions strategy - I'm glad you are a fan of their chioces.
    I didn't even realize that. The publisher isn't usually something I pay very close attention to, but that is kind of cool.

I must admit this was a new one for me. But it is on my radar now.
    It is a different sort of read than the rest of the list, but I really enjoy Grahame Joyce. Before you pick it up, I'd suggest reading a blurb and deciding from there if it seems like something you'd be interested in.

Algernoninc, Abraham is one author that I haven't read that I keep telling myself I should try, along with Paul Kearney. Seems like a series that would be right up my aisle.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Out of that list, I would doubt between the Graham Joyce, Robin Hobb and Stephen King. All pretty close in quality, although very little alike.

Blog Entries
    Well these 5 were written in for the semi-final:

Joe Abercrombie - Red Country
    Terry Brooks - Wards of Fairie
    Steven Erickson - Forge of Darkness
    Michelle Sagara - Cast in Peril
    Brandon Sanderson - The Emperor's Soul

swelling the field to 20, which then narrowed to these 10 for the final:

•Alif the Unseen - by G. Willow Wilson
    •City of Dragons - by Robin Hobb
    •King of Thorns - by Mark Lawrence
    •Some Kind Of Fairy Tale - by Graham Joyce
    •The Blinding Knife - by Brent Weeks
    •The First Confessor - by Terry Goodkind
    •The Killing Moon - by N.K. Jemisin
    •The Traitor Queen - by Trudi Canavan
    •The Wind Through the Keyhole - by Stephen King
    •The Woman Who Died A Lot - by Jasper Fforde

Down to the final round of voting!

Sadly Wheel-Mouse didn't make the picture-book final.

How the hell did Goodkind get through? Well, anyway...

Goes without saying King got three votes from me over the course of the voting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    How the hell did Goodkind get through? Well, anyway...

Goes without saying King got three votes from me over the course of the voting.
    It's the only one I've read too - an excellent piece of work. I'd vote for him if I thought he wasn't nailed on for the win &/or any part of him cared or would even notice winning

My prediction for top 3 is:

#1 Stephen King
    #2 Brent Weeks
    #3 Robin Hobb