Harlan Ellison The beast that shouted love at the heart of the world

Hello

I am trying to buy this book for a Christmas present and want to get a first edition. I have no idea what im doing it appears it was mass printed by Avon in 1969 and then it was printed again in 1969 as a hard back for book clubs. The first UK printing was by Millington in 1976. Has anyone got any ideas which one would be most saught after by collectors and why?

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Kiva View Post
    Hello

I am trying to buy this book for a Christmas present and want to get a first edition. I have no idea what im doing it appears it was mass printed by Avon in 1969 and then it was printed again in 1969 as a hard back for book clubs. The first UK printing was by Millington in 1976. Has anyone got any ideas which one would be most saught after by collectors and why?

Thanks for your help
    Based on the listings at Biblio.com it looks like the Avon hardback is asking the highest price but the book club edition is asking $129 on ebay. Biblio has a couple of signed copies for sale if that is what you are looking for.

Jim

The true first of this was an Avon pb, which if memory serves are hard to identify. There was a hb, but it was SFBC with Avon's mark on it, and it's not a true first. The first UK dropped a few stories and was not first in time.

I think there is an author's corrected text of this collection out there (pretty sure the Avon had been changed against Ellison's wishes). Ellison has several fan sites; you should look at those for assistance in determining which edition is the most desirable, or at least which would be best for the purposes of your gift.