Joe Abercrombie Recaps?

I've never had this much trouble finding recaps of books. There aren't even wiki articles about these specifically yet. I'm finding tons of reviews, but I want plot summaries or recaps. Anyone have any links to this?

Nobody?! I am specifically looking for BSC and Heroes. Plot Summary.

Yeah, I can't find anything either. I guess you can run through reviews and goodreads and the like, sort of piece it all together but that's a bit of a pain.

Can't believe no one has updated the wiki at all.

He's just not a very good writer.
    I bought and read his first 3 books.
    Boring, already done so many times kind of fantasy.
    I'd like a refund.
    Last edited by fiddler; November 27th, 2012 at 06:13 PM.

I couldn't disagree with you more. He is one of the best new authors in fantasy and just keeps getting better. (In my opinion of course).

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Nobody?! I am specifically looking for BSC and Heroes. Plot Summary.
    I don't know of any off-hand. What is it particularly that you want to know about them?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    He's just not a very good writer.
    I bought and read his first 3 books.
    Boring, already done so many times kind of fantasy.
    I'd like a refund.
    Is that a joke? Boring is subjective of course. Joe has his weaknesses in writing. But one thing is for sure, not enough action and being too similar to everything else, are not them.

Quote Originally Posted by heretics fork View Post
    I couldn't disagree with you more. He is one of the best new authors in fantasy and just keeps getting better. (In my opinion of course).
    Joe is my favorite writer. First Law is my favorite series to date. And the standalones have not disappointed. So ya.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    I don't know of any off-hand. What is it particularly that you want to know about them?
    Well I'm reading Red Country now. Pretty good by the way! And I just find myself forgetting everything but the main plot line of each. How did they end? There was something important and a tad depressing that happened between Shivers and Monza at the end? Death? I have such horrible memory that I just need little nudges for everything to come rolling back.

Write me a plot summary of both books Kat! I know you want to. =)
    Last edited by chris777; November 27th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.

Write me a plot summary of both books Kat! I know you want to. =)
    *Shudder,* no. But here are some basics on them:

Spoiler:

Best Served Cold is basically an altered version of the Count of Monte Cristo. Monza, left for dead, then goes about exacting revenge for her downfall and the death of her brother. By the end, though, while she accomplishes her revenge, it leaves her empty. She realizes that she is no different than the men she attacked, just as the Count does. She fully remembers what she only half-admitted to herself -- that her brother was a psychopath who engineered her rise through awful means. She is trapped into rulership but also accepts it as the prize. Shivers is horribly wounded and scarred, internally as well as externally, in the disaster surrounding our favorite king. He completes his journey from competent neophyte who turned away from revenge to bitter monster (Abercrommbie throws in some Caliban there,) and he blames Monza and the islands for it. Monza feels guilty for what has happened to Shivers, also repulsed. He has become a liability and although they are still connected by shared pain and alienation, she is unable to reach out to him, turns to others while Shivers rants and rends the remains of their relationship which dies. Shivers, totally disillusioned, returns to the North and the culture he understands better, where he is now a made man and scary. There are elements of possible magic involved in Shivers' evolution, but it's hazy. Shivers reappears in The Heroes. The poisoner is done in by his own code, other characters find small slivers of nobility (Cosca), but all of them are broken in some way -- the price of vengeance. Many fantasy novels about assassins have a remarkable lack of assassinations in them. Best Served Cold is instead built entirely around very complicated assassinations that have a decided chess element to them.

The Heroes is a different story, closer to The Thin Red Line. It's the at times microscopic anatomy of a messy battle. It's focused on how war shapes soldiers in different ways, revealing hard truths to themselves. They lose the illusion of war as glory, but they are also drawn back to it, broken, ruthless sometimes, with it being all they know and with its own kind of dignity. So there's the rookie who dreams of glory, but then hides and accidentally kills his ally, leading to promotion he doesn't deserve, which eats at him. There's Shivers, turning himself into a battle avatar. There's a general's daughter who finally learns what war is really about but doesn't turn away from ambition. There's the suicidal master swordsman who keeps finding it difficult to get himself killed. Like Glokta, he wants to go but not by his own hand. The sum of their experiences, though, is the Dogman, who faces every issue of being a soldier and leader and the difficulties of sanity versus madness throughout the book and is the book's protagonist. None of the characters is essentially a hero, but what they go through is heroic in various different ways.

Red Country is a western, The Searchers essentially. By these comparisons, I don't mean that Abercrombie is copying plots and characters. Instead, he's riffing off the particular themes and atmospherics those stories share and meshing them with the overall mythology of the world he's building. That myth is the slow war between Bayaz's manipulations of the North and the cannibalistic necromancers in the South, so that next trilogy should be interesting. Abercrombie is very interested in war and in character study. Logen is one of those great characters readers love who is thus likely to hang around Abercrombie's neck like an albatross long term.

If you've got questions about particular characters, I or others can probably dredge them up. Werthead is particularly good at that sort of thing if he's around.

Are there guns in Red Country? Guns are big turn off for me. =(

Gah, I still remember loving the first two rigante books to death, but couldn't even get past halfway in the third one when the guns were introduced.

no guns in red country

And I just find myself forgetting everything but the main plot line of each. How did they end? There was something important and a tad depressing that happened between Shivers and Monza at the end? Death? I have such horrible memory that I just need little nudges for everything to come rolling back.
    Spoiler:
    Monza ends up as Grand Dutchess at the end of BSC. She turns away both Bayaz's pet monster Sulfer and the rather wonderful East Wind, thus alienating herself from both the superpowers in the main plot arc. Hopefully she'll be back in the second trilogy. Shivers gave up on being a better man, returned to the North and became Black Dow's pet monster in Heroes. I can't remember if he survives Heroes or not to be honest (I think so) but the main thing at the end of Heroes, apart from Bayaz inventing the cannon with rather mixed success, is Bayaz feasting with Sulfer beside the mass graves after the battle, rather implying that Bayaz has now broken the Second Law himself.