Hybrid View

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in November 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.
    Mark

Bleedin' 'eck, you've changed your pic.

Well, I think I can state with some confidence that I'm taking three reads into November:
    Dracula by Bram Stoker
    A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
    & tonight I'm starting the third, Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism by Mike Mignola & Christopher Golden.

Well at 30 and after reading 100's of Fantasy books , today I started Lord of the Rings for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rulkez View Post
    Well at 30 and after reading 100's of Fantasy books , today I started Lord of the Rings for the first time.
    Whaaaaaaaa! *open mouth with tongue sticking out*

Finished Wurts' To Ride Hell's Chasm. It's a stand-alone fantasy (about as unusual as the above) and really well done. It's slow moving as is Wurts' style, but you get so close to the characters through all the descriptions of their emotions and banterings. I always thought the "To Ride" part was a bit much, why not just "Hell's Chasm," but after having finished, I can say that it definitely belongs.

Started Courtney Schafer's The Tainted City, sequel to the excellent The Whitefire Crossing.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I finished Sharps by K J Parker. Loved it: it includes most of the favorite themes of the author regarding technology, weapons and armour and her trademark shockers in terms of moraly repugnant actions from main characters and some wholesale slaughter. What novel brings new to her style is more focus on group dynamics instead of solitary twisted heroes, presenting an improvised national fencing team of five people forced into close proximity and having to deal with life threatening crisis almost on a daily basis. I also noticed a tighter plot and a more upbeat ending for an author who usually closes the stories with a note about the futility of the struggle. So, I would consider Sharps a good entry point for new readers curious about the author and willing to give it a try.

I have a lot of 2012 books I would like to read before the end of the year, and can't decide which one is next: The Tainted City, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Throne of the Crescent Moon, Blood Song, The Twelve (Cronin), Red Knight, Some Kind of Fairy Tale, Sacre Bleu. I'm afraid some will slip into 2013. For the moment I'm relaxing with some P G Wodehouse.

Still on Red Country and still enjoying it.

Read Magebane by Lee Arthur Chane. It was good in all aspects excpet the writing was weak. Each major character when indroduced when through a 2-3 page thought process where you get their back story which seemed clumsy. Otherwise it was a nice light fantasystandalone. I searched Magebane and found no mention of the book in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    & tonight I'm starting the third, Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism by Mike Mignola & Christopher Golden.
    Took... not long at all. And worth every moment. Amazing little novella (well, not little, it's like ~150 pages long, maybe ~75-100 in "normal" print/formatting).