Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Finished Alloy of Law by Sanderson. I really enjoyed it, had a Sherlock Holmes feel to it at certain spots. I look forward to the eventual continuation of this story.

Finished The Tainted City, the sequel to The Whitefire Crossing, and it was another great read. Let it be known Schafer's survived the sophomore slump. I really like this series because magic plays such an integral part to everything in the story and the world, it doesn't take a back seat at all like so many others.

Started Red Country by Abercrombie. I actually haven't read Best Served Cold or The Heroes, so we'll see how this goes.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    Finished The Tainted City, the sequel to The Whitefire Crossing, and it was another great read. Let it be known Schafer's survived the sophomore slump. I really like this series because magic plays such an integral part to everything in the story and the world, it doesn't take a back seat at all like so many others.
    I'm about a third of the way in with Tainted City, and I like it ok, after a slow start that relied too heavily on events from the first book (and me with a terrible memory). I agree about the interesting magic system, but I found the dialogue and in general the prose less accomplishe. One reason for this may be that I read it in parallel with Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, which is probably the best debut for me since Rothfuss. The comparison is apt because there are similarities with Kingkiller Chronicles: the framing device of the older hero reminiscing about his turbulent history, the detailed description of growing up in a special school (warrior monks instead of magicians) , the special abilities of the main character, the attention to detail and the really impressive writing chops for a newcomer. I think Ryan's is better because it doesn't feel bloated with trivia, and is much more action oriented, while Rothfuss excells at being subversive of reader's expectations.

It did rely heavily on the first book, I had noticed that. I had similar experiences trying to read anything while I was in the middle of A Game of Thrones. It killed any taste for anything else.

I keep hearing that Blood Song is along the lines of Rothfuss, which is really interesting especially since he independently published although now has a traditional publisher. Will definitely have to give it a go. Do you know if anything will be changed when it gets the new publish?

Okay. Bloodsong is officially on my radar. Seems to be getting a lot of high praise around here.

Finished up The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell, Miserere by Theresa Frohock, and Crypto-Squad by Eric S Brown and Jason Brannon. The Reapers is a strange, but enjoyable read. The voice is odd, purposely, and it gives the book a kind of foreign movie feel. Interesting concept amidst the zombie genre. Miserere was great. It has a fairly subdued pace throughout, lots of introspection, but the characterization and writing are great, as was the sense of the world. Nothing in the book surprised me, story-wise, but I was easily able to put aside my inner editor and just read. That says a lot.

Crypto was pretty much what fans of Brown expect: fast-paced, simple, and fairly entertaining as long as you're not expecting much from it. Probably came off worse for me than it is because of reading right after the other two books listed above.

I've started The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams.

Reading A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Finally finished The Well of Ascension by Sanderson after putting it down for quite a while - a great read and follow up to Mistborn; it was good to be back with the characters. Will start on The Hero of Ages in a month or two I think.

Finished up the excellent Echoes of the Past, book 4 in the Demon Squad series by the man three posts above. If you are remotely tired of urban fantasy, this is the series that will help you see there is so much more that can be done in the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    So now it's (back to) Mazarkis Williams' The Emperor's Knife
    Finished.

Eh.

For far too long Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood was on Mount Toberead staring at me. I remedied that today

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    For far too long Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood was on Mount Toberead staring at me. I remedied that today
    I think about getting it, but I think I'd need to re-read the first. Do let us know how it works out.

Just finished Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey. More of the same gore and debauchery as the first one in the series but I think I liked the first one a little bit more than this one. Kind of a different take on the whole zombie invasion storyline. I think it's getting harder and harder for authors to come up with an original zombie story. Will definitely continue with the series at some point.

Up next is Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher, Book 2 in the Codex Alera.

Read interesting books
    Reading three fantasies at the moment - The Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan - this is funny and touching so far, a sort of Men of genius but with dragons instead of mad inventions - upper class girl studies dragons in a Victorian like era despite that it is not a ladylike profession; in this case rather than going in disguise, she marries a supportive dragon researcher who takes her on his field expeditions...

Also reading The Night of the Swarm by Robert Redick and on the one hand the book moves well and I enjoy reading about Pazel, Tasha and the rest, but on the other the whole "doom time and we are the saviors' subject makes taking it seriously a bit hard

Finally reading The Last Light of the Sun by GG Kay - it is the only historical fantasy of the author I have not yet read and I planned to for a while but now is the time; this one is what i expected - great lyrical prose and interesting characters

Well, I'm just getting ready to dive into Stephen King's Under the Dome, 1000+ pages.

I prepared for this journey by reading some fluffy, easy, light-reading Grisham.