Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sir Terry Pratchett's A Blink of the Screen, which is a collection of his shorter works. A fair section at the back is devoted to Discworld, so I'll post it here in Fantasy.

So far? Really good. Some brilliant stories in this collection, and it's clear from the start he has some level of talent. What's also really good, I feel, is each story is introduced by Sir Terry, and he often gives a brief explanation of the inspiration or the history behind it.

Blog Entries
    I just finished Clash of Kings by George RR Martin and I'm so hooked! It's weird because I don't normally like fantasy but so far this series is great! On to Storm of Swords!

Also just started watching the HBO adaptation. Not as good as the book but not disappointing yet either.

Just finished The Third Section by Jasper Kent, the third book in the Danilov Quintet. I love this series! It's not flashy, action-packed or over-the-top. What makes it so good is it's realism. I can almost believe that this could have taken place at this time period in Russia. Also includes one of my favorite characters, Iuda/Cain/Yudin. So evil! Waiting for Book 4.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pleased you're enjoying this series, Slice of G. Jasper does spend a lot of time working on the historical details of these, I know: he'd be pleased with what you've said.

Myself, currently juggling Red Knight by Miles Cameron (really good - mentioned elsewhere!) and Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (he of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.) A version of the Nativity that's rather more gritty Fantasy than usual.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Sir Terry Pratchett's A Blink of the Screen, which is a collection of his shorter works. A fair section at the back is devoted to Discworld, so I'll post it here in Fantasy.

So far? Really good. Some brilliant stories in this collection, and it's clear from the start he has some level of talent. What's also really good, I feel, is each story is introduced by Sir Terry, and he often gives a brief explanation of the inspiration or the history behind it.
    Finished it last night. Really good collection with only a couple of duds.

So now it's (back to) Mazarkis Williams' The Emperor's Knife

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Pleased you're enjoying this series, Slice of G. Jasper does spend a lot of time working on the historical details of these, I know: he'd be pleased with what you've said.

Myself, currently juggling Red Knight by Miles Cameron (really good - mentioned elsewhere!) and Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (he of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.) A version of the Nativity that's rather more gritty Fantasy than usual.
    What happened to John Gwynne's Malice? Lost interest? I'm still searching for advance reviews on this one.

Read interesting books
    I finished two books - Emperor's Soul by Brandon sanderson was a quick read at a BN - ok and with some interesting stuff but not worth the 15$ cover price in any shape or form unless you are a true fan

Where Tigers Are at Home by JM Blas de Robles - this is a book that deserves all the accolades and prizes it got as it will be hard to find a better book next year when it is published in the US; on the other hand it is not really sff, though its collection of oddities and strangeness are more sffnal than many genre books, while its structure will not appeal to completist fans who want every t crossed and i dotted; hypnotic, mesmerizing and a masterpiece of world literature

So I attempted A Discovery of Witches, but not only did it remind me of The Historian way too much (which I couldn't stand), I just couldn't go on after the witches, vampires, demons, etc. all go to yoga together.

Unreasonable reasoner
    Just finished "Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan. Very good, among the best fantasy I've read. Reminded me a lot of Rothfuss and Hobb's work.

Tonight it seems appropriate to take a quick break from fantasy to read Buckley's "The White House Mess." After that probably "Shadow" by KJ Parker or possibly "The God King" by James West. Don't really know anything about it, but it was free for kindle so I figured what the hell.

I finished up Throne of the Crescent Moon the other day. Must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and would very much like to read more stories from this setting. It's very much my sort of fantasy, and seeing as it's the only one I managed to get into my reading this year, I'm pleased I liked it so much.

So now it's (back to) Mazarkis Williams' The Emperor's Knife
    It's a bit... dry? Sterile? Lifeless? I'm sort of enjoying it slightly and I want to see how it ends up, but... *Shrug*

It's a bit... dry? Sterile? Lifeless? I'm sort of enjoying it slightly and I want to see how it ends up, but... *Shrug*
    That sums up my reaction fairly well. Some interesting ingredients, but the whole of it didn't quite work together for me so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    That sums up my reaction fairly well. Some interesting ingredients, but the whole of it didn't quite work together for me so well.
    Yeah. There's definitely some great ideas, but I find things are happening and I don't understand why. It's like I keep missing things or blanking over them.

It really doesn't help that every character seems to talk the same and their personalities seem... strange? I honestly feel like I've jumped into the middle of a series. That's what this book is like.

Thanks Loerwyn, I felt the same way - middle of series, characters not too distinct. I thought it was just me because I saw some fairly decent praise for the book upon publication earlier this year/late last year.

I think it's one of those books with good potential but doesn't really realise it.