Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in November 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly SF Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.
    Mark

Read interesting books
    I found out about this new (space opera a la PFH) trilogy - The Sigil - by Henry Gee, nature editor and blurbed by quite a few well known sff and pop-science writers and bought the ebook omnibus and I plan to start either this or continue the associational Where the Tigers are at home by JM Blas de Robles. I opened a thread about the Sigil trilogy HERE

Halfway through Godlike Machines, a fantastic collection of short stories by Alastair Reynolds, Stephen Baxter, Cory Doctorow, Sean Williams, Robert Reed and Greg Egan.

I bought it just to get Reynolds' Troika in print. But Ive loved all the rest just as much so far. There is an especially fun one by Doctorow, I had never even heard of him, that for me reads alot like the old movie A Boy and His Dog. Great movie and this story feels like a slightly higher tech version of it.

Well, October is over, and I had intended to jump away from space and back into fantasy for November, but something went wrong. Last night I started Peter F Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction. I'm not certain how it happened. When perusing my TBR my intention was to simply select a shortish fantasy novel to get my fantasy blood pumping with the eventual goal of starting Malazan Book of the Fallen. Instead I somehow started reading a 1200 page space opera. Dear me.

Well I'm still finishing off Michael Moorcock's Elric as my print book, but I'm about to start The Mammoth Book of Nebula Awards SF on my kindle, so hopefully there will be some good short stuff in there.

Next up for me on the SF side of things is Blades of Winter G.T. Almasi's debut novel. It's a blend of spy thriller, cyberpunk (or so the author claims) and alternate history. Only a few pages into it but the story has potential.

I'm really not too sure what I want to read next. I've made some progress on both Shadow of Saganami and At All Costs by David Weber, but no more than a handful of chapters, and I'm not sure if I'm really in the mood for two pretty big novels. I've got Fire Season (Weber and Lindskold), Helix Wars (Brown), Zero Point (Asher), Thousand Emperors (Gibson)... the list goes on, but I really haven't a clue what I fancy reading.

Blog Entries
    Deep into Fantasy territory at the moment... but a copy of David Wingrove's Ice & Fire, Book IV of the Chung Kuo series, arrived today so that will probably be next.
    Last edited by Hobbit; November 7th, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Mark

I finished Adam Roberts Salt and enjoyed it as well (as most other Roberts books). In this novel colonists are sent to populate a far-away planet ("Salt") and end up divided into two groups - those that follow are more anarchist way of living and those through a rigid hierarchy and government. Their struggle is made worse in that the world is primarily covered in salt and the air unbreathable chlorine.

Roberts tells the story from the viewpoint of one character from each group, and it's interesting reading the story from these two points of view - dealing with the ensuing war and the difficulties of settling on the planet. Another great read from this author.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    I finished Adam Roberts Salt and enjoyed it as well (as most other Roberts books). In this novel colonists are sent to populate a far-away planet ("Salt") and end up divided into two groups - those that follow are more anarchist way of living and those through a rigid hierarchy and government. Their struggle is made worse in that the world is primarily covered in salt and the air unbreathable chlorine.

Roberts tells the story from the viewpoint of one character from each group, and it's interesting reading the story from these two points of view - dealing with the ensuing war and the difficulties of settling on the planet. Another great read from this author.
    Sounds like something I would like, just ordered Salt from amazon for 63

Im currently on a Iain M Banks binge. Ive read a couple of his later Culture novels and loved them. So I decided to start at the beginning to see how this universe evolved over time. Just a little into Consider Phlebas and its got me hooked. I was worried because Ive read its not the best Culture book, and its got some pretty bad reviews on different sites. Im keeping an open mind.
    Last edited by livens; November 8th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    There are better, livens. But it is where we first met the Culture, so it's worth a try....
    Mark

I decided to go a book I didn't list above: New York Nights by Eric Brown. It's one of the few of his I've not read, and it's been on my reading stack for way too long. The start is interesting, and a little different to what I expected, so I'll be interested to see where it goes. It's also the first book of a trilogy, and with the others at home too I may go through all three if it hits the spot for me.

Read interesting books
    I finished the first book from The Sigil Trilogy omnibus by Henry gee mentioned awhile ago; a bit pulpy, a bit wish fulfillment but with narrative power and making one turn the pages; there are two main threads, one some 55 million years ago on a very different Earth that's center of a galactic civilization and in the near future 2121-2140's and the discovery that our ideas about Earth's past are wrong

Next up for me is The Creative Fire by Brenda Cooper. Generational starship, far future SF sounds pretty interesting.

im hurting for a sf epic. almost done with The Twelve, then i need something in SF for awhile. been fantasy non stop for like 4 months.

help me bros. im thinking of trying those chung kuo releases. i really want something new with space combat though. have to check whts come out recently.