Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shadow's Lure (June 2011)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kongming View Post
    Actually theme and topic are basically the same thing. "revenge is pointless and ultimately self-destructive" is more a thesis
    I'm giving you my definitions for the purposes of the discussion, so we're not constantly talking past each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    I'm giving you my definitions for the purposes of the discussion, so we're not constantly talking past each other.
    That's fine and I understood that to be the case. I was simply stating that I didn't agree that those were the correct definitions.

LaerCarroll.com
    Every writer is unique, with different talents, skills, needs, situation, and so on. Theme, thesis, or thread are totally irrelevant for many writers. They may be utterly essential to others.

bingley bingley beep kissmequick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laer Carroll View Post
    Every writer is unique, with different talents, skills, needs, situation, and so on. Theme, thesis, or thread are totally irrelevant for many writers. They may be utterly essential to others.

Indeed - I've only ever written one book knowing what the theme was beforehand. Mostly I finish the first draft and then re-read it to find out what it was I wanted to write about....then I tighten that theme in the edits. Others can't write without knowing the theme first. Whatever works for you.