Two cultures, same planet, living at different time rates

I just joined so this is my first post. I'm hoping to find a book.

Years ago I read a book about two cultures/worlds that shared a planet, each living at a different time rate than the other. A character from the "faster" people managed to enter the world of the "slower" people.

I thought the author was Orson Scott Card, but none of his titles sound like this book.

Can anyone help?

Stephen Baxter has written several short stories set on "Old Earth", which has somehow been modified so that time passes much more slowly at lower altitudes. One of the first stories I recall is about a doctor who moves to a higher altitude while researching a cure for a disease. The cure is found relatively quickly from the perspective of the people who remained behind at the lower altitude, though it takes all of the doctor's life (living at an accelerated time rate).

This sounds very much like a Stargate Atlantis episode. I wonder if they copied it from your author.

Maybe... but I kind of doubt it. The concept is right out of relativity. In real life time passes at different rates depending on where you are in a gravity well. Twenty-something years ago I read a YA book with a similar plot device: Singularity by William Sleator. This thing was published in 1985! Apparently Orson Scott Card gave it a good review. I really ought to re-read it.

Speaking of Stargate copying ideas, the SG-1 episode "A Matter of Time" is remarkably similar to Singularity.

It's reminiscent of Farmer's story "The Sliced-Crosswise Only-On-Tuesday World." Overpopulation is solved by people living one day a week and being in stasis the rest of the time. The ultimate hotbunking, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I thought the author was Orson Scott Card, but none of his titles sound like this book.
    May have been mixing the memories with the later part of Card's Worthing Saga - the inhabitants of Worthing Farm (those with psi powers bred into them) were kept separate for a long time before one escaped back into the main world. They were running on the same kind of time rates as the outside world from what I remember though (been a long time since I read them)

One Planet with Many Different Time Rates

How about if a story matches some of your descriptions?

"Traveler's Rest" by David I. Masson is one of my favorite stories. It will haunt me forever.

The planet does not have two cultures. (Unless you count civilians and an eternally-at-war military.) As you move through the latitudes, between equator and poles, you change time rates. The story follows a man taking a military leave from the war-torn pole, and recounts his changing and slowing as he moves from the very fast pole to lower and slower latitudes, to even slower rates at the equatorial regions.