Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold Days (The Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher

This 14th installment in Harry Dresden's adventures is less than a week away, and the first four chapters are up for free at Mr. Butcher's site:

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dre...cold-days-ch-1

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dre...days-chapter-2

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dre...days-chapter-3

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dre...days-chapter-4

There's also a wallpaper and news about two upcoming online Q&A sessions:

http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2012/14-to-14
    Last edited by AmethystOrator; November 20th, 2012 at 07:54 PM.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    The ones dealing with the Faerie realms have sofar been among my favorite. I hope this one is extra good, so I am looking out for advance reviews, of which there are sofar, none. Seems like they did not have time to send out arc's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    The ones dealing with the Faerie realms have sofar been among my favorite.
    Same here. I'm also very eager to find out what's going on with as many of Dresden's allies, friends and enemies as possible. How many will show up? How many will believe it's really him, etc. I'm also wondering if Lily, Fix and the rest of Summer knew that he wasn't dead to begin with? I'm (obviously) very much looking forward to it too.

I am looking out for advance reviews, of which there are sofar, none. Seems like they did not have time to send out arc's.
    I really liked the preview chapter (does that count as a review [j/k]).

I'm not surprised at the lack of arcs, as you say. It sounded like Butcher needed all the time he got to finish this and I'm very glad that we get it this year.

I wasn't expecting any advance reviews either, for the reasons you both mention, but my local library archives Publishers Weekly, and there was recently one in there -- to the extent that PW reviews are useful, being only a paragraph long. They describe it as "engaging", and the overall tone is very approving, which is great to hear of course. However, I wouldn't advise reading the review if you've got access to it; I wish I had not. Because it contains a spoiler. On the one hand it sounds like something that happens fairly early in the book, but on the other hand it's definitely not something you can get from the blurbs I've seen, and it's kind of big. Not earth-shattering, but definitely something that sounds like it'll loom large over the plot.

I am, needless to say, stoked.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    I have been reading these books since the first few were out and eagerly have awaited each and every one. Not this one. Maybe because I didn't care for Ghost Story. I suppose I will reread it, because since I didn't like it I didn't retain much. I have high hope for Cold Days, but not as eager for it as I have been the others.

A Fantasy Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by sic's mom View Post
    I have been reading these books since the first few were out and eagerly have awaited each and every one. Not this one. Maybe because I didn't care for Ghost Story. I suppose I will reread it, because since I didn't like it I didn't retain much. I have high hope for Cold Days, but not as eager for it as I have been the others.
    I have to admit that GS, while I did like it, was a little disappointing for me when I first read it. I then did a series reread and when I got back to GS actually enjoyed it a lot more the second time. At any rate I am really looking forward to Cold Days!

I updated the first post with Chapter 2, which is as far as the free preview in the back of GS went. So everyone is at the same place and I'm very much anticipating what comes next.

I updated Chapter 3 as well as the news about the wallpaper and upcoming Q&A's.

I added chapter 4. And Jim B's Reddit Q&A is supposed to start in a couple of minutes.

And it is released!!

Why so expensive though... $15 for the Kindle version. Beside audio books, this has got to be the most expensive book I have ever bought through the Kindle store.
    Last edited by nuttz96; November 27th, 2012 at 03:53 AM.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    And it is released!!

Why so expensive though... $15 for the Kindle version.
    The book is highly anticipated and already a massive bestseller in pre-order.
    The publisher is trying to get as maximum a profit out of it as they can possibly get, and that is why Kindle prices are also very high.

Just finished Cold Days!

To be honest.. I don't really know what to think. Harry's power seems to fluctuate at whim. It felt like he would go from being the ultimate bad ass in one chapter, to being completely powerless in the next. This is pretty usual for this particular author, but being the Winter Knight, the feared warrior and assassin of the Unseelie Court, I just felt that he shouldn't have been kicked around so easily by anyone, let alone by the Winter creatures themselves.

The part about the Fae Queens was great though, especially loved how the book ended. Overall, it was a pretty good addition to the series, but nowhere near the best. Felt bloated at times by random irrelevant narratives. The two separate main plots were interesting, but the convergent point felt poorly done; the twist that lead to it was so obvious that I kept hoping I was wrong.

Finished it last night and loved it!

Many things were not handled how I imagined but as it was it was still done extremely well. I loved the private showdown with the pair at the end.

Read it yesterday, and was pleased with this book. It had a ton of reveals in it that were awesome, but as a result makes me less excited for the next book.

Three books behind. I need to catch up.