Angry Help to identify a book please...

Hi,

Wondering of you could help me out. Some years ago I picked up a book whilst on deployment in Afghanistan and only managed to read the first few pages before I lost it!

I don’t remember what it was called and Google isn't yielding any useable results.

It basically starts during a submarine style game of cat and mouse between two spaceships. Both ships are blacked out and cannot physically see each other and are relying on stellar occlusion to locate each other in the dark of space.

The featured ship is crewed by humans and is ‘running dark’ so all non-vital systems are inactive. As a result the captain and several other crew are immobile as their prosthetic limbs are powered by the ships systems. At some juncture this ship is detected and is subjected to a barrage of kinetic weapons which contain some sort of chemical or nano technology that infects and weakens metal structures causing a portion of the ships structure to detach itself from the vessel.

Attempting to repair the damage and tethered to this portion is a suited engineer who as he drifts away is unable to contact his ship for fear of alerting the enemy to his position. He is forced to watch the ensuing battle unfold. Finally he realises that his ship is at peril and deliberately creates a heat bloom using his blow torch thus tricking the enemy ship into revealing its position by firing upon him. Neddless to say the human ship wins this engagement.

That is as far as I got and the only other thing I can remember is that the ship had a massive thick shield on the forward end of its structure. Would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction as I would actually like to read this book from start to finish this time if I can find it.

Could it be Passage at Arms by Glen Cook?

Earthman1
    Some books you may be interested in on a similar theme are David Gerrold's Star Wolf series - I have only read Yesterday's Children (aka Starhunt) of this series; and also Richard C. Meredith's We All Died At Breakaway Station.

Cheers guys, unfortunately neither one fits the bill but your suggestions will keep me occupied for a few days, thankyou.