Books Like Myke Cole's Shadow Ops.

Ok, so what i'd like here is ask from you kind friends for a few references of series like this book.

I'm looking for a series - whether it has 2 or more books or just 1 but the author is planning to publish another soon like the one in the title. Mostly sorcery with military stuff included and in the present or not so far future.

Something like Black Hawk Down and Delta Force meets Dresden Files.
    I'm in love with Myke Coles book as it gives everything i'd want from it. A like-able main male character, good but not naive, young but not 10-12 year old kid. Sorcery and combat, a good story, a little romance, a "gang".

If you have any idea feel free to let me know cause there's 7 more days till Cold Days and Trapped come out and i need something.

That's the thing with Myke's series, he's done something few writers have done with his combination of Military SF and Fantasy. The closest recommendation I can think of would be Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series, the first three are available as an omnibus for just $6 (e-version) through Baen.com

P.S. Changed the thread title to better reflect what you are seeking.
    Last edited by Rob B; November 20th, 2012 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks, man. Glad the book worked for you. If you want book recommendations, I highly recommend Joe Abercrombie, Peter V. Brett, Scott Lynch, Daniel Polansky, Mark Lawrence and Patrick Rotfuss. Also: Naomi Novik, James Clavell.

These aren't specifically like my work, but they are books that had great influence over me, and may have appeal to you as well. Hope that helps.

I considered the first book a cross between Berserk and Encyclopaedia Brown.

Don't even ask me how.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure how the rest of the series goes but maybe James Lovegood's "Age of......" series. Series starts off with Age of Ra. Here is the description:

An alternate history of the world where the Egyptian gods have defeated all others and have carved up the planet between themselves. Only a band of Freedom Fighters and their enigmatic leader can free the Earth from their divine tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    That's the thing with Myke's series, he's done something few writers have done with his combination of Military SF and Fantasy. The closest recommendation I can think of would be Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series, the first three are available as an omnibus for just $6 (e-version) through Baen.com

P.S. Changed the thread title to better reflect what you are seeking.
    Monster Hunter books are fantastic. Definitely one of my most memorable reads for 2012.

Well, you'll have to wait until the end of January, but the sequel to Control Point - Fortress Frontier - is just as good as the first. A new main character (that I like better) is most of the focus, but there's still plenty of Oscar Britton.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, an new main character. That sounds good as I was not a fan of Britton. I might just check that out even though I was considering dumping the series.

Yep, a new main character who I like a lot more than Oscar Britton. There was always something just a bit annoying about Britton for me as well, so I can see how some don't like him much. The new character - Colonel Bookbinder is much more likeable, though in the end he's more of the same 'reluctant hero' type who stuggles with doing what's right and following orders.

The book is about 3/4 Bookbinder and 1/4 Britton in terms of POV. There's a third POV that comes in late - it's shorter and it would be a bit of spoiler to say who it is.