Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Recent Quest/Companions Fantasy?

    say, last five years or so) quest fantasy books have been published - you know, a group of companions assemble, go on a quest to save the world or what not. It doesn't have to be exactly the classic (or stereotypical) formula, but some kind of quest and group of characters is preferable. Of course I'd like it to be "good," but given the nature of subjectivity I'm happy to hear any and all recommendations and I'll sort them out as best I can.

    As far as time-frame goes, the more recent the better because the less likely I've heard of it. But any period is fine, with an emphasis on the last two or three years.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles-ish, CA
    Posts
    828
    The Barrow by Mark Smylie comes immediately to mind. Just published in March.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    The Barrow by Mark Smylie comes immediately to mind. Just published in March.
    Interesting - that's the same guy who created the Artesia graphic novels and rpg; I'm guessing that the Barrow is set in Artesia. Have you read it? Any good?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles-ish, CA
    Posts
    828
    Yes, this is set in the same world, a little bit before any of the comics, and on a different part of the map. The publisher (Pyr) liked it enough that there will be two more, the last one having some overlap with the first graphic novel, but from different perspectives.

    I did read it, but haven't posted any sort of thoughts or review here yet, and there's a reason for that. I've found this to be very hard to pin down, though there's no doubt that it's made me think quite a lot, perhaps moreso than any other Fantasy book I've read. I asked Kat G to read the intro and she said that there's definitely a Gemmell influence there, but imo that's definitely not all that shows up before the end. I want to spoil you as little as possible, so I'll just say that I do think it worth at least trying, but only so long as you are not put off by sex, of which there is more here then in a typical novel these days. Here's a free preview if you're interested http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2...es-barrow.html

  5. #5
    First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

  6. #6
    It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Widdershins
    Posts
    2,036
    The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan is one of my recent favorites. It starts relatively small scale with a duo of rogues / thieves, but develops in later books into a grand epic.

    Acacia by David Anthony Durham is a great story of four orphan brothers fighting to save their world from ancient evil and modern enemies.

    The Chatthrand Voyage by Robert V S Reddick is epic with a maritime flavour, great characters and extraordinary worldbuilding.

    All of these serries are finished.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    Yes, this is set in the same world, a little bit before any of the comics, and on a different part of the map. The publisher (Pyr) liked it enough that there will be two more, the last one having some overlap with the first graphic novel, but from different perspectives.

    I did read it, but haven't posted any sort of thoughts or review here yet, and there's a reason for that. I've found this to be very hard to pin down, though there's no doubt that it's made me think quite a lot, perhaps moreso than any other Fantasy book I've read. I asked Kat G to read the intro and she said that there's definitely a Gemmell influence there, but imo that's definitely not all that shows up before the end. I want to spoil you as little as possible, so I'll just say that I do think it worth at least trying, but only so long as you are not put off by sex, of which there is more here then in a typical novel these days. Here's a free preview if you're interested http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2...es-barrow.html
    I happen to be a big fan of sex...in real life, at least! In the written word I'm indifferent.

    Anyhow, I'm more turned off by "grim and gritty." Well, not turned off - not offended, but just not turned on.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
    See my response above. I've had The Blade Itself on my shelf for a few years and haven't gotten around to reading it because of the grim-and-gritty thing. Again, I don't mind a bit of grimness and grittiness, I just find that when it is the central quality it becomes a bit tedious. This is what marred the Prince of Nothing for me - good writing, interesting world and story, but just too dark. There is little to no warmth or humor...but I've gone on about this before.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan is one of my recent favorites. It starts relatively small scale with a duo of rogues / thieves, but develops in later books into a grand epic.

    Acacia by David Anthony Durham is a great story of four orphan brothers fighting to save their world from ancient evil and modern enemies.

    The Chatthrand Voyage by Robert V S Reddick is epic with a maritime flavour, great characters and extraordinary worldbuilding.

    All of these serries are finished.
    Thanks. I read the first Acacia book and liked it, but didn't love it so didn't continue. I started Red Wolf Conspiracy and also liked it, but not enough to continue. Maybe it is worth another shot.

  10. #10
    I would second the suggestion of the Riyria Revelations and I'll add the Riyria Chronicles. These are fast paced books that I think you should give a look. If you go to Amazon's site you can read a sample of the books to see what you think.

  11. #11
    Registered User Carlyle Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    232
    Heartwood (Elemental Wars) by Freya Robertson
    Published 2013

    A dying tree, a desperate quest, a love story, a last stand.
    Chonrad, Lord of Barle, comes to the fortified temple of Heartwood for the Congressus peace talks, which Heartwood’s holy knights have called in an attempt to stave off war in Anguis. But the Arbor, Heartwood’s holy tree, is failing, and because the land and its people are one, it is imperative the nations try to make peace.
    After the Veriditas, or annual Greening Ceremony, the Congressus takes place. The talks do not go well and tempers are rising when an army of warriors emerges from the river. After a fierce battle, the Heartwood knights discover that the water warriors have stolen the Arbor’s heart. For the first time in history, its leaves begin to fall...
    The knights divide into seven groups and begin an epic quest to retrieve the Arbor, and save the land

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •