Fantasy book about kings that get beheaded every 7 years and a new king annointed

I'm looking for a book I perused at the bookstore but didnt buy and have regretted ever since.

The book starts with the king making preperations for his execution. Once a king has reigned so long, he's beheaded and his head flung into a crowd, the person that catches the head becomes the next king. Dozens of folks show up hoping to be king, even knowing the outcome. One bit I recall was that the crown requires a chin strap, since a previous king's head and crown were caught by different men, resulting in a civil war in the kingdom. The story is about how the current king plans on beating the odds and escaping execution and fleeing into the wilderness.

That's as far as I got. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have to know how it ended.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    I'm blanking on the name, but it sounds like something from L. Sprague DeCamp

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Ashura View Post
    I'm blanking on the name, but it sounds like something from L. Sprague DeCamp
    And we have a winner!

http://www.amazon.ca/Reluctant-King-...reluctant+king

Awesome!

Thank you very much. Ordering off Amazon now.