Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Published Novelist

Star Trek Into Darkness

The 2009 Star Trek reboot was the best movie I've ever seen. Anyone else hyped about the sequel?

I thought it was incredibly over the top. Maybe that was the attaction?

Published Novelist
    The fact that it was over the top was what made it entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth2 View Post
    The fact that it was over the top was what made it entertaining.
    Yeah, everybody has to decide what they want from their science fiction movies.

Contact and Voyage Home are the best Trek movies in my opinion but none of them are really great.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; November 10th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Over the top? ALL of the Star Trek movies were over the top! Going back in time to save humpback whales, long lost satellite coming back with a brain the size of the universe because it felt depressed, anti-aging cosmic radiation... come on.

My top list:

#1 The Wrath of Khan

#2 The Motion Picture, original one.

#3 The Voyage Home

All of the rest were still good, and Ive seen them all several times Except for Nemesis, I haven't seen that one. I just found out about it from Wikipedia, how the heck did I miss a Start Trek movie???

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Khan--as a movie--sucked. Voyage was a worse movie. Of all the Trek movies, Generations was probably the best of them (followed, possibly, by Insurrection).

But anyway...

The reboot was okay... plenty of fun to watch, as long as you don't take your SF too seriously. (At all.) I honestly haven't heard enough about the next one to get that psyched about it, though.

I know the story is intended to better integrate this green captain and crew... but how well will they pull it off, if at all? Will they do any character development beyond Kirk and Spock? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven L Jordan View Post
    Khan--as a movie--sucked. Voyage was a worse movie. Of all the Trek movies, Generations was probably the best of them (followed, possibly, by Insurrection).

But anyway...
    I was 7 or 8 when I saw this in the theaters. Im sure that skews my perception of the movie somewhat, but I still love it no matter what. Im a bigger fan of the 'original cast' movies than I am of the original tv series. Ill still watch them occasionally, but some of them were pretty silly IMO.

Am I the only one with a cool older brother who took you to see star trek/star wars movies? At 8 yrs I probably would never have asked my parents to take me on my own. I also remember going to see the Transformers movie when it came out, gotta love the 80's!

IMO Wrath of Khan was the best of the bunch. I always thought that was the generally accepted opinion but I really don't know that (pay that much attention).

Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    IMO Wrath of Khan was the best of the bunch. I always thought that was the generally accepted opinion but I really don't know that (pay that much attention).
    It is the generally accepted opinion. And I still say it sucked, as a story and as a movie... all cliches, bad science (even for Star Trek) and--ahem--"two-dimensional" acting.

My reasons are here... my opinion.
    Last edited by Steven L Jordan; November 10th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.

Published Novelist
    I've never seen Khan.

Not that it's really the point of this thread, but Star Trek was originally about serious SF concepts and exploring the human condition, as much as it was about wars and excitement. The movies have largely forgotten that, having been rendered into comic books in comparison. Maybe the rebooted movies will be different... but so far, there's no indication of that.

Way Too Human
    I'm glad there will be another Star Trek movie. I really enjoyed the reboot, but I'm pretty easy to please in that respect. However if they delve to far into personal relationships, such as with Kirk/Spock/Bones, I think it will go downhill. I hope that they just assume we accept who those characters are now and move on with a good story. I believe this because there will always be a comparison of that aspect to the old series and it will probably always fail.

As for the previous movies, I really like The Undiscovered Country. I don't know if it's my favorite, but it's one I'll always watch. I have always felt that The Final Frontier (after seeing it, of course) had huge potential but was ultimately a big disappointment. Had the story been executed better, the final campfire scene would have had more impact...more meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
    As for the previous movies, I really like The Undiscovered Country. I don't know if it's my favorite, but it's one I'll always watch. I have always felt that The Final Frontier (after seeing it, of course) had huge potential but was ultimately a big disappointment. Had the story been executed better, the final campfire scene would have had more impact...more meaning.
    Yeah, Final Frontier had serious issues... not the least of which, apparently, was allowing an actor to bite off more than he could chew, and do most of the writing on-the-fly. (We're looking at you, Bill.)

I'd call Undiscovered Country the most intelligent of the original cast movies... but, of course, most Trek moviegoers are apparently not looking for intelligence or interpersonal relationships, which, considering the intellectual and humanistic quality of the original series, always struck me as odd.

Artist, Cartoonist & Dude Action Avenue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth2 View Post
    The 2009 Star Trek reboot was the best movie I've ever seen. Anyone else hyped about the sequel?

I am very pumped up to see the sequel and enjoyed the Star Trek franchise reboot very much. While the casting was tremendous and everything else about the movie was also great (acting, writing, action sequences), it is still not my favorite Star Trek movie. That honor would go to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan! FYI: my least favorite Star Trek movie would be Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Thought it was rather boring, but at least they got it right with II. Also enjoyed all the Star Trek Next Generation movies, although I know a lot of fellow Star Trek fans feel that the franchise took a hit in quality with the last couple of installments featuring the NG cast.

Looking forward to the sequel and really love the title.