Fantasy books with secret societies..

I really love fantasy books with secret government/autonomous societies/school/agencies dedicated to save/destroy mankind. There is usual drafting of the protagonist (with some superpower) at the beginning and the things get interesting down the road with usual twists and turns. There are tonnes of book dealing with the said theme with said variations and i am a sucker for them all. Two books which i have read lately which seems to belong to this category are Raven's Shadow by Anthony Ryan and The Rook by Daniel O' Malley. I really enjoy the growing part of protagonist inside the organisation, how he interacts with this hidden world and learns the rules of the game. The best example would be Harry Potter/The King-killer Series, however lately books are not spending enough time with world-building, explaining the magic-system and interactions with other members within the society. This cutting short of learning process not only leaves the reader dis-satisfied but also fails to capitalise on some great idea on which the book is based as there are two many holes, the ifs and whys which nag the reader through-out. I may be nit-picking out here but this aspect really turns me-off. I know the author can't reveal all in the first book in the series but there are ways to leave out these parts and still make the existing book satisfying like in case of Kate Daniel and Dresden Files.. Neither i am asking the author to go over-board with details without really clarifying anything like Imager portfolio.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the same and welcome recommendations.
    Last edited by atticus; November 12th, 2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Typo

I haven't read as widely as some of the people around here, but there are two series that I can think of that include such societies, that you may not have heard of. One is The Tide Lords by Jennifer Fallon. The secret society is not the focus of the tale, but it plays an important role more than once and it's members receive a lot of time through the 4 books that comprise the story. Another is Felix Castor by Mike Carey. That is a great read, imo, and while the secret society there doesn't get much time in the early books, it definitely comes to prominence later on. It's a bit different than Dresden, but imo keeps getting better and becomes just as good.

Another series that you probably have heard of is The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan. I haven't completed that yet, but from what I have read then this would likely appeal very much to you.

the Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
    The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag by Robert Heinlein (more novella than novel)
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes

I'm positive I'll think of more right after I hit the send.

Randy M.

You might like The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman which features a secret religious order.