Hi everyone!

I'm new here. In fact, I just published my first book a few months ago, so I'm new to the publishing world in general... And I have question for all you who have been doing this for a lot longer than me: how do you judge if a book has been successful?

I know "success" means different things to different people, and it can't *really* be defined in any one way that everyone can agree on. But let's put that aside for a moment, if you will. I'm not looking for one right answer - just some generalizations, ballpark figures, gut feelings... basically, whatever completely subjective criteria that you might use to try to gauge a book's progress. For example:

"I consider a book successful when it has...

Sold X number of copies in X amount of time
Generated $X in profits/revenue/author-takeaway in X amount of time
Earned X% of its break-even cost in X amount of time
Earned X number of reviews on Amazon averaging stars
Ranked #X on X list for X amount of time
Gotten X number of Likes/Adds/Follows on Facebook/Goodreads/Twitter
Some other intangible (e.g., "I saw a complete stranger reading it.")
Something else entirely?
Etc."

Any takers? :-)

I understand that the people in this group come from all different backgrounds, and I'm interested to hear what EVERYONE has to say - authors (published and indie), agents, editors, publishers, publicists, you name it. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!!

Sincerely,
Samantha Durante
(Author of Stitch)

PS - Please be aware that I plan to publish a compilation of these responses on my blog as a reference for other new authors, BUT I promise to make everything anonymous. So please be candid! Thanks again!