Bookaholic

I took the Martin plunge

I finally got bored enough to read Game of Thrones. I have been adamantly refusing to read the series because I will not read an unfinished series after my WoT experience. I finished the second book to "The Black Company" and I am uninterested in reading more, especially when I found out that it too is unfinished. I have the first four books to ASOIAF laying around, so why not? I am a little disappointed due to the massive hype surrounding the books. It is good, don't get me wrong. It just isn't the Greatest Fantasy Series Ever like I was expecting. I am going to read the books I have though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexington View Post
    I finally got bored enough to read Game of Thrones. I have been adamantly refusing to read the series because I will not read an unfinished series after my WoT experience. I finished the second book to "The Black Company" and I am uninterested in reading more, especially when I found out that it too is unfinished. I have the first four books to ASOIAF laying around, so why not? I am a little disappointed due to the massive hype surrounding the books. It is good, don't get me wrong. It just isn't the Greatest Fantasy Series Ever like I was expecting. I am going to read the books I have though.
    Enjoy. A Song of Ice and Fire is so far superior to WOT that I can't even compare the two. You'll love it.

Bookaholic
    This is why I didn't post this in this subforum.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is why I didn't post this in this subforum.
    But this is where it goes, Rexington, which is why it was moved!

The comment above, btw (of which you presumably refer) was made before the post was moved...

Think you'll find that not all here are total fans of the books/TV, rather like you seem to be. It is allowed...

.... and as a not yet convinced reader, I would hope that your views would be rather refreshing.

Like everyone else, just keep it civil and I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Last edited by Hobbit; November 18th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Mark

Simply put, Martin's prose in ASoIaF is bloated, long-winded, over-descriptive, as clear as muddy water and often rather circular. Whole chapters can feel pointless and over-long, characters end up merging into each other to create a confusing conglomeration of beards and swords, and half of the time you're wondering where he's going with it...

And yet I'm taken with the series. If you can look past its many flaws, it's actually a really good series. Not the best, certainly, but that will always be subjective.

Bookaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    But this is where it goes, Rexington, which is why it was moved!

The comment above, btw (of which you presumably refer) was made before the post was moved...

Think you'll find that not all here are total fans of the books/TV, rather like you seem to be. It is allowed...

.... and as a not yet convinced reader, I would hope that your views would be rather refreshing.

Like everyone else, just keep it civil and I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Civil??? Not civil?? Hahaha. No problem Hobbit. I actually don't understand the flamewars people have on the net with complete strangers. I can be a smartalec, but I am always civil. I figured that my thread belonged here, but I admit I wanted maximum exposure. I have been so against reading it that I thought a public admission to me reading it was in order. Thank you for the explanation and I promise I will always be civil. *angelic smile on my face*

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL. Apologies if I gave the impression that you weren't civil: wasn't my intention, was speaking generally. How could I think otherwise with such an angelic smile? *grin*
    Mark

Way Too Human
    After the past few years of reading only SciFi, I finally fell into the ASOIAF vortex after watch the first season of the HBO series. I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to read. I don't find it bloated at all. Each chapter leaves me wanting more, which should be one of the goals of every writer. Very few writers have been able to make me hate or like characters like GRRM has been able to do.

I'm about half way through ASOS and still glad I sarted the series.

With that said, when we finally get the ending, I hope it doesn't ruin the series.
    Last edited by Lazerus; November 19th, 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: minor edit

It's easy to read, but his prose is undeniably bloated. It's full of little things he does and says that are unnecessarily long winded (e.g. giving ages as blah-and-blah, so four-and-forty instead of forty-four).

It gets progressively worse after the third book. The first three are tight, but after that, you can toss 60% and not miss a thing. And since he is not going to finish it ever, well, you might as well not bother. I don't mind unfinished series. Still haven't read Jordan's last one.
    Igor