http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

My local Barnes and Noble, as well as other bookstores are promoting the heck out of The Rook by Daniel O'Malley, but can't seem to find anyone who has actually read it. Anybody have an opinion on the book? It sounds rather interesting. Same set up as Horns by Joe Hill, where he wakes up to have his life altered.

Anyway, if someone can tell me what they thought would greatly appreciate it.

Here is the blurb:

Myfanwy Thomas awakes in a London park surrounded by dead bodies. With her memory gone, her only hope of survival is to trust the instructions left in her pocket by her former self. She quickly learns that she is a Rook, a high-level operative in a secret agency that protects the world from supernatural threats. But there is a mole inside the organization and this person wants her dead.

As Myfanwy battles to save herself, she encounters a person with four bodies, a woman who can enter her dreams, children transformed into deadly fighters, and an unimaginably vast conspiracy. Suspenseful and hilarious, THE ROOK is an outrageously inventive debut for readers who like their espionage with a dollop of purple slime.

Blog Entries
    Also, how would one pronounce the protagonists first name? Any guesses?

I have been lurking SFF for years and never post, but I have read The Rook. I'm not really a big fan of Urban fantasy, but I gave this a try because some of the reviews were excellent. Overall, I loved the book. It was excellently written and it kind of had this adult Harry Potter feel in that there's a whole world that just co-exists with ours. I was surprised with the quality of the characters despite how odd their abilities could be. The person who lives inside four bodies, Gestalt, is an amazing character that I really enjoyed reading. I would recommend the book even if you're not big into urban fantasy.

Myfanwy's name is pronounced Miffany. She even comments on the oddness of her name and the mispronunciation of it several times throughout the book.

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Yes, I've read The Rook. It's amazing! Basically, all you need to ask yourself is what would happen if there really were superpowered beings on our planet? People who could fly, teleport, were more animal than man but just as much man as the next one too, etc. What would they do? How would they organize themselves, interact with non-superpowered people, etc. The Justice League and the X-Men and the Avengers and all the other comic book teams are cool but they aren't Real. The Rook feels Real. The world and superpowered society and organizations he proposes is how it would happen in the real world. Plus, great writing, plot, characters, all that. I haven't read the book you mentioned Durzo, haven't even heard of it, but The Rook felt completely original to me in the world O'Malley has introduced.

Also, don't worry about not understanding things like pronouncing Myfanwy's name. O'Malley has that all covered. You just have to read it to find out.

Also, welcome to SFFWorld Wegee!

Blog Entries
    Well, based on your two positive reviews I guess I will be picking it up soon. Thanks to both of you to your quick responses.

I tried to like this after reading some good reviews at Goodreads , but Myfanwy is just so unlikable, and the writing feels very laboured.

Abandoned after 50 pages.

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    You must not like superheroes or mystery or great story telling Rulkez. I couldn't put it down!

It's mostly Myfawny. The info dump via the notes was also annoying for some reason.

I dunno , I'd have put money on me liking it as well.

Been looking to pick this up. Don't know how the author says her name is pronounced, but Myfanwy is a Welsh name. Pronounced Mi-Van-Wee.