Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pushing Ice is real good so far

Read interesting books
    Bought and read a few stories from the new anthology Edge of Infinity by J. Strahan and the ones by McAuley and Baxter are excellent; next is Reynolds and then will see

I'm enjoying Redemption Ark as much as Chasm City.

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    Stick with it Loerwyn, it gets a lot better!
    It has gotten better by about page 200, certainly, but I'm not sure it's hit "a lot better" yet. It just seems... so bloody obvious what will happen. Maybe I'm wrong.

the Rake
    Engineering Infinity - a recent hardish anthology edited by Strahan. About halfway through and have enjoyed all of the stories so far. Features some big names like Benford and Baxter. Favorites stories are probably the Schroeder and the Watts.

Ive been slowly making my way through Banks' Consider Phlebas, a little past the half way point now. Its a good book, but considerably less refined than his later culture novels. As the story moves from place to place he seems to stay too long and things drag on until something exciting happens, then on to the next spot. Also I was hoping for some real history on the beginnings of the Culture, details on how Minds came about... but there doesnt seem to be much of that here. Most everything I hear about it I already know.

Now I know why everyone says not to read this one first, it might put you off from reading any of the others. I am enjoying the read, and I like seeing an authors progression as they get better and better.

Blog Entries
    Empire State, Adam Christopher

Enjoyed this noirish science fiction thriller set in an alternate reality.

I am starting Neuromancer by William Gibson. I have never red it before. I am expecting I will love it, I will let you guys now what I think.

EDIT: I thought I was going to start Neuromancer but a buddy of mine convinced me to read Leviathan Wakes. So I am going to read Leviathan Wakes now, and Neuromancer later. This seems like a pretty big book, and I am a slow reader so it may take me a while, but I will let you know what I think.
    Last edited by runaroundace; December 12th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by runaroundace View Post
    I am starting Neuromancer by William Gibson. I have never red it before. I am expecting I will love it, I will let you guys now what I think.

EDIT: I thought I was going to start Neuromancer but a buddy of mine convinced me to read Leviathan Wakes. So I am going to read Leviathan Wakes now, and Neuromancer later. This seems like a pretty big book, and I am a slow reader so it may take me a while, but I will let you know what I think.
    Leviatan Wakes = AWESOME

Neuromancer = okay (and overrated in my book)... i don't know what it is about cyberpunk novels - like this and snowcrash... but they just don't do it for me - I guess to each his own

Just finished Pushing Ice by A. Reynolds... and it was Great!

Moving on to Deepsix by Jack McDevitt... I liked Engines of God, so hopefully this will be on the same level

Quote Originally Posted by krisbslick View Post
    Leviatan Wakes = AWESOME

Neuromancer = okay (and overrated in my book)... i don't know what it is about cyberpunk novels - like this and snowcrash... but they just don't do it for me - I guess to each his own

Just finished Pushing Ice by A. Reynolds... and it was Great!

Moving on to Deepsix by Jack McDevitt... I liked Engines of God, so hopefully this will be on the same level
    I am only on page 25, but Leviathan Wakes looks exactly what I was looking for. I will give a better opininion of it when I get further.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For Christmas, I'm reading Baen Books' collection, We Wish You A Cosmic Christmas. Bit of a mixed bag so far, but an eclectic mix of SF and Fantasy.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Finished two books this week. The first was Heavy Time by CJ Cherryh. While not as good as the first three books in the Earth/Union series it was still a good read. This tale concerns two independant miners in the asteroid belt working for an almost overwelming controlling Deep Space Corporation in our solar system when they are diverted to a distress signal. They discover one heavily damage ship with one survivor, delirious and barely alive. What follows is a trail of greed, deceit, cover-ups and even good intentions that shake the system to it's core. Cherryh is very good at drawing complex character studies; just when you think you have them figured out a bizarre new side comes up that throws the story in a new direction.
    The other book was the third installment in Mike Sheppard's Kris Longknife series. I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I like it. On the plus side, the storylines are engaging and the battle scenes fairly exciting; Sheppard isn't afraid of killing off major characters and I like the title character. On the negetive side is Kris' annoying super-computer Nelly who always saves the day. At one point early in the story Nelly literally says "Why not let me fly the ships and the rest of you can stay home." Why not indeed....

Just about to start Hunter's Run by Martin, Dozois and Abraham, for what looks to be my final read of this year. Have literally just started so can't comment on it just yet.

Finished up The Orphaned Worlds the second novel in Michael Cobley's Humanity's Fire trilogy. Not bad, but a step down from the great first installment. Good moments and all, but a bit too scattered. Now I'm onto a 2013 release, M.C. Planck's The Kassa Gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by starman03 View Post
    Just about to start Hunter's Run by Martin, Dozois and Abraham, for what looks to be my final read of this year. Have literally just started so can't comment on it just yet.
    Is this book part of a series, or a stand alone?