Thread: Police reports?

Police reports?

I'm looking for samples of police reports for various criminal incidents. Not the actual form itself, but the police statements / descriptions of the incident.

Trying to find a proper language format.

ie:

An independent investigation has confirmed that Atlanta police officers broke the law during the raid of the Eagle bar in September, 2009 by unlawfully searching and seizing patrons who were not suspected of any crime...etc..

Can anyone recommend a website that has samples of this of thing for various crimes?

thanks!

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff p; December 6th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

You can use this: http://policeofficerreportwriting.wo...port-examples/

You can make a list of questions, call your local police department, tell them you are researching a novel for accuracy and find out who you can talk to in PR liason to get the info from actual police officers. (This might be particularly useful if you are trying to do police in a particular area, like Atlanta.)

You can also check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Police-Procedu...on+for+writers, and there are some others like it, but that's been a fairly useful one, according to mystery writers.

Thanks for the links, KatG

At this point I'm only searching for a few sentences of believable crime report lingo.. (finally found some)
    Never occurred to me there would be an actual book on this subject for novel writers... a great source!

Thanks

Jeff

Aha, that website's bound to come in handy at some point! Thanks Kat, o font of all knowledge!

HI Jeff. I actually used to be a police officer so maybe I can help. The key components of any report need to include the following things: who, when, where, why, what, and how. A lot of the reports I used to write would go along the following format.

On the night of september the 6th at approximated 9:04 P.M., I responded to (location/residence) in regards to (why you are there. domestic disturbance, prowler, ect) Once on scene, I made contact with (suspect/witness) during the course of the conversation, suspect/witness informed me that (here you are either looking for a witness statement or building elements of a crime) then you state what action was taken.

okay, for example.

"On the night of September the 6th at approximately 9:04 P.M. I responded to 1111 Graves street in regards to a possible domestic disturbance. Once on scene I made contact with Kelly Bree (W/F/56) (white female aged 56) who informed me that while during an argument her live-in boyfriend Curtis Brenson (W/M/58) slapped her across the face with an open plan. Ms. bree had visible red marks and bruising along the side of her face. Inside the house, I made contact with Mr. Brenson. During the course of the conversation, Mr. Brenson showed signs of having ingested alcohol. He then admitted to me that he struck Ms. Bree because "She wouldn't shut up". Curtis Brenson was placed into handcuffs and transported to Volusia County Branch jail."

This would have been an example of a acceptable report. Forgive me if there are any typos. It's the second time I had to write it because it deleted for some reason. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks mate! Does anyone know if UK police reports would be significantly different from the above? I'm guessing not, but having never seen one I'm not sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    It does, thanks mate! Does anyone know if UK police reports would be significantly different from the above? I'm guessing not, but having never seen one I'm not sure.
    Depends if they are talking about the use of the word Pleb

Thanks, JHerzog01

...Forgot about this thread..

What I was searching for was Government and FBI kinds of reports, like Terrorism, espionage, which I'm incorporating into my SciFi detective story.

Thanks for including a sample breakdown!, A good basis for any investigative reporting.

Found this interesting site..
    http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/wanted_terrorists

Thanks again!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    Depends if they are talking about the use of the word Pleb
    LOL good point!