Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could anyone recommend a novel with a small-ship setting?

Alright so this is my first post ever here so forgive me if I'm doing any faux-pas but I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a novel that follows the crew of a small spaceship. I just finished Leviathan Wakes and Calibans War and I like the Rocinante setting. Preferably I'd like something with a heavy focus on characters. Anyways a couple guiding points if this is vague. The whole thing doesn't have to take place in the ship just that they have to spend a decent amount of time in it. The science doesn't have to make perfect sense but I do prefer it to follow something which my friend calls the "future 17th century" pretty much no instant communication and travel between systems takes weeks if not months. Don't know how much people like it here but the best approximation I could give for what Im looking for is something like Firefly.

Chris Bunch's Star Risk Ltd. Series, is the first thing that came to mind.

(If you aren't opposed to Star Wars) The X-wing Series (especially Wraith Squadron) follows a group of closely knit rebel fighter jocks.

I didn't put either of these through your 17th century science filter, but if you're looking for a good story these are pretty good books.

So, proceed with caution.

I would be interested as well to see what people post here.
    Last edited by krisbslick; December 10th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Going old school, C.J. Cherryh's Chanur series might fit your needs - it's about a freighter crew, they aren't exactly quick traveling. However, it's also set in a completely alien culture with one token human.

Any of Cherryh's Merchanter books could also fit, but those ships are somewhat larger, with entire clans on board.

(I'm not obsessed with Cherryh, that's just all I have in that vein).

While I know little of this book as I just found out about it today, and it doesn't come out until July. I read your post right before I red the description of this book, and it says "vivid characters of Joss Whedon’s Firefly". So I thought it might be something you were interested in. The book is called The Darwin Elevator. Here is the link:

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/2202...-jason-m-hough

A space elevator in Darwin Australia? Is that close enough to the equator to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Omphalos View Post
    A space elevator in Darwin Australia? Is that close enough to the equator to work?
    let me get out my tri-pod and theodolite I will check.

(Haha sorry just trying to be funny, I have no idea how a space elevator would work, or what it has to do with the equator).
    Last edited by runaroundace; December 11th, 2012 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by runaroundace View Post
    let me get out my tri-pod and theodolite I will check.

(Haha sorry just trying to be funny, I have no idea how a space elevator would work, or what it has to do with the equator).
    It would need to be close to the equator to take advantage of centripetal force.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    It would need to be close to the equator to take advantage of centripetal force.
    Interesting, stuff like that never crosses my mind.

Chris Wooding's Tales of the Ketty Jay series should fit the bill.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll second Wooding's Tales of the Ketty Jay. Not in space, but just like Firefly. While a little bit different from being a close-knit group, you may want to try the CassaFire/CassaStar series. It is about a hot shot space fighter pilot. Really arrogant but a small feel to the story.

A lot of stories in the Man-Kzin Wars series fit that description but I don't recall which ones.

psik

Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's war series takes place on small ships and I enjoyed them a great deal.

try the Gap series. never gets much mention but i think its fantastic. little darker than the expanse

Poul Anderson's Polesotechnic League yarns could be worth a look, especially the later David Falkayn ones where he teams up with Adzel and Chee Lan.

Quote Originally Posted by Andols View Post
    try the Gap series. never gets much mention but i think its fantastic. little darker than the expanse
    Second that. Excellent series. Ringworld also came to mind - but doesn't exactly fit the bill. Very good read though

Cheers,

Sfinx.

EDIT: if not in the mood for reading: Red Dwarf the one to watch!