Analyze That

SFFWorld Favorite Book Poll

I think something needs to be done about the ties. The way the points are doled out in cases of ties doesn't really make sense.

For instance, let's say the following scenario happens:
    1 - Book A
    2 - Book B
    3 - Book C
    3 - Book D
    4 - Book E
    5 - Book F

The points are as follows:
    Book A (8 pts)
    Book B (4 pts)
    Book C (1.5 pts)
    Book D (1.5 pts)
    Book E (2 pts)
    Book F (1 pt)

So, even though Book C and D are ranked higher, they end up getting less points. Now it could be implied that as soon as you tie for 3rd, you can't have a 4th place book, and skip down to 5th, but that isn't how I've seen it done in past years.

Even then, there is some issues. For example, if a book were to tie for 2nd, each book would get two points. Then you'd skip down to the 4th place book, which would also get two points. So the two ties would be worth the same as the next book down.

I know this doesn't matter much, but it just bothers me. I have a solution if you are interested in fixing it, but if you don't think it matters, that is fine as well.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'm sure RobB can figure out what to do in the event of a tie. But if not and there is one, you may want to share your method of breaking the tie with him directly (through a PM). :-)

We've had books tie for the same place quite often. On the other hand, not many people enter two books for the same spot.

Analyze That
    Yeah, I meant for entering two books for the same spot.

Ok, if you don't think its important than its not important. I just thought I'd point it out. And yes, I probably should have sent this by PM rather than just starting a thread down here. I didn't even think of doing it that way. I was not trying to be the obnoxious person that points out flaws for everyone to see at all. Even though it turned out that way.

No harm no foul. If you are thinking it, you might not be the only person thinking it. I want to try shape this thing the way members would like to see it.