revelation space. what order

so im gonna get round to reading the revelation space saga
    i have a 3,500 page epub and it seems the stories are in this order in it.

revelation space
    chasm city
    redemption ark
    absolution gap
    diamond dogs, turquoise days
    galactic north
    the prefect

is this the correct way to read them?

i have also just came across a forum somewhere else that says to read these 3 first

Revelation Space
    Redemption Ark
    Absolution Gap

correct way to go?
    Last edited by Vooloc; December 13th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.

Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, and Absolution Gap make up a trilogy (in that order). The others are books and stories set in the world. I would read them in publishing order which is basically the way you have it.

first list or read the trilogy first then the others in the order of the first list minus the trilogy.

I asked a similar question in the altered carbon thread because people were saying to read chasm city first. However I am going to read them in the order they were published. It just makes more sense to me to read them in the order came out like someone would as if the next book in the series wasn't available yet. I already bought revelation space and will follow that with chasm city, and continue in order. It may be a while before I do this though because I just started Leviathan Wakes (and loving it so far btw). I guess the good thing about me being so late into getting into these books is that I have a lot of great reading to look forward to!

I've read them all and done quite a bit of research on the subject. The order intended is Revalation Space, Chasm City, Red Ark, Ab Gap, G-north and Prefect. Diamond dogs you can read anytime ,doesnt matter. Good series but unfortunately it peaks at Chasm City and goes down hill from there. Peace.

Reposting an answer from a while ago:

The reading order for Reynolds' Revelation Space universe stories is complex, with the novels overlapping with the short stories (collected in Galactic North) and the two novellas (collected in Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days).

This is the chronological order for the short stories, novels and novellas:

'Great Wall of Mars' *
    'Glacial' *
    'A Spy in Europa' *
    'Weather' *
    The Prefect
    'Dilation Sleep' *
    'Diamond Dogs' **
    'Turquoise Days' **
    'Grafenwalder's Bestiary' *
    'Nightingale' *
    Chasm City
    Revelation Space
    Redemption Ark
    Absolution Gap
    'Galactic North' *

* Story in Galactic North
    ** Novella in Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days

Whether this is the best reading order for the books or not is debatable. I think it mostly works, although The Prefect may have more impact if read after the trilogy (Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap) when the reader is more familiar with the Conjoiner and Ultra factions. Also 'Weather' contains the answer to a major mystery from the trilogy about the Conjoiner lighthugger drives and may benefit from being read later on.

What I would say is that 'Great Wall of Mars' and 'Glacial' should definitely be read before the trilogy, as they introduce characters who otherwise show up out of nowhere in Redemption Ark, and 'Galactic North' (the story) should be read after everything else as it explains the (somewhat puzzling) ending to Absolution Gap and puts something of a full stop on the whole series and story. Chasm City can be read before or after the trilogy, but benefits much more from being read before as some of its characters play a role in Revelation Space. Don't read Chasm City in publication order (after Revelation Space) as it is set earlier and is a substantial divergence away from the main story of the trilogy.

i cant believe this.
    i didnt have the Galactic North short story collection.
    i just put it into Google and obviously its on the first page so i clicked on of one the links, it didnt send me anywhere because it was a direct link to the pdf. unbelievable.

oh and before anyone jumps up and down about downloading, i was just looking to see info on it. and i also download all my books because love reading on my Nook. BUT i still buy the physical books because i love full bookcases.
    Last edited by Vooloc; December 16th, 2012 at 05:33 PM.

I enjoyed The Prefect and Redemption Ark. RA is actually my favorite of all the RS books. Probably because I have a thing for the Conjoiners and RA is the most conjoiner focused of the books.

Absolution Gap is crap though. It sticks out like a sore thumb compared to all the others.