Authors in Trouble II

I can't find the original of this one (maybe Rob can do his rundown stuff,) so I'm starting a second one temporarily. SFF author Jay Lake has been battling cancer for awhile now and apparently it's taken a down turn. A genetic sequencing procedure might help target the cancer more effectively, but in the U.S. that means dough. So a group of SFF authors is doing a fundraiser for Jay in which as goals are reached, they will do various whimsical endeavors for everyone. They've raised a good bit, but as you know, the expenses run high, so if you would like to help out and make SFF authors do silly things, here's the link: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...n-Writer/38705

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Spread the word. I will be donating for sure. Thanks KatG for letting everyone know.

I was following this on twitter yesterday and was blown away by how quickly the SFF community pitched in and helped to shatter each goal for the fundraiser.

No genre of literature or any other form of entertainment has as deep a sense of community and even tribalism as does SFF literature. The response to Jay's need is amazing. Hope the sequencing leads to a path for recovery for him. Cancer is a scary thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I was following this on twitter yesterday and was blown away by how quickly the SFF community pitched in and helped to shatter each goal for the fundraiser.
    Indeed. Last I checked it was over $30k. I'm donating when I get paid, and I've already seen Paul Cornell's... um... interesting take on Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights.

It may have already been mentioned on this forum, but this thread seems like a good place to also talk about Shawn Speakman. He's the webmaster for Terry Brooks, a freelancer for Suvudu (Random House's SFF website), and a friend to many in the SFF publishing industry. He's also a two-time cancer survivor who recently got through his most recent bout but was left with a stack of medical bills because he was uninsured. To help pay these bills, he self-published The Dark Thorn which is a good read for a good cause and well worth the price. He's also currently compiling what could turn out to be one of the best fantasy anthologies of all time, Unfettered, which you can read about on the website for his publishing company Grim Oak Press.

Sadly, we received announcement today that SFF author Jay Lake has lost his battle with cancer and has left us. The gene sequencing and study treatment were not successful ultimately, although they did give Mr. Lake some more time with his daughter and partner. You can read about it and memorial stuff here:

http://www.jlake.com/2014/06/01/canc...-end-has-come/

Jay Lake was the author of numerous novels, novellas, and over 300 works of short fiction. He helped edit several anthologies and was the editor for the Polyphony anthology series. He wrote a non-fiction writing guide, Jay Lake's Process of Writing. He was a Hugo and Nebula nominee and won the John W. Campbell Award in 2004. A documentary was made about his fight with cancer, Lakeside -- A Year with Jay Lake.

A writer to the end, Lake's most recent works are a joint short story collection with Ken Scholes in the shared author Metatropolis series, The Wings We Dare Aspire, out now, and in September there will be a large short story collection, Last Plane to Heaven. The paperback edition of Kalimpura, the last novel in Lake's Green Universe series, is also available in September. The hardcover is currently out on shelves.

I read a couple of Lake's works and found them to be intriguing and creative. I never met him, but by all accounts in the SFF community, he was a bright light in a Hawaiian shirt. He will be missed.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Rest in Peace.

Shadow's Lure (June 2011)
    Blog Entries
    I only met Jay once, years ago, but he was a class act. He cared intensely about making sure writers' rights were protected.

We've lost a giant.

I was very sorry to see this when the news came out. I never got to meet Jay, but I have a couple of his books, and he will definitely be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    No genre of literature or any other form of entertainment has as deep a sense of community and even tribalism as does SFF literature.
    I dispute that claim.

I think the sense of community and all in sff is great, don't get me wrong -- but it's not nearly as pronounced as in some smaller, more under-the-carpet subgenres.

Take, for instance, mm (gay) romance. Recently a respected author unexpectedly had a brainstem tumor removed, leaving him paralyzed. Private fundraising efforts raised $30,000 for his care in TWO DAYS, with final totals over $60,000. And mm readers are a MUCH MUCH smaller group than sff readers.

I celebrate donations for Jay Lake's care, and for the care of other authors in need. But that doesn't make sff fans exceptional.

eta -- woops, sorry -- I didn't notice how old that post was when I responded to it! Condolences on the loss.
    Last edited by Contrarius; June 5th, 2014 at 06:19 AM.