Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Introduce yourself and say 'Hi'. This is the thread to say 'Hello' in (v3)!

As it is fairly early on in a New Year (2013), and the last thread was 1000 posts long, I thought it was time for a new one.

(The old thread is HERE, but now closed.)

So, for the third time, here's where new people can introduce themselves and say 'Hi' (as the thread title says!)

Hello everyone!

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Better waited and post today on this thread !

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aledan View Post
    Better waited and post today on this thread !
    Howdy, Aledan!

EDIT: I might steal your username for one of my characters...

It's mine !! No ok, it's cool ^^
    But it's also the name of the main character in my own writing ^^

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aledan View Post
    It's mine !! No ok, it's cool ^^
    But it's also the name of the main character in my own writing ^^
    Thanks! But I won't use it just yet. I'll squirrel it away in my name file and use it sometime far into the future.

Man in the High Castle Awesomov's Avatar
    Is this like a memory wipe thing? If so, I'm, like, Awesomov. Hi. I've been practically homeless for a couple of years thanks to a variety of things, including my ex who lied to me about cheating and decided to break up with me even after I forgave her for it, and thanks to parents who've had a tight enough leash on me to make attempts at squashing my dreams in life.

But enough about the negatives. Whether I live up to my user-name is of no matter, but I like to think I'm a great guy who deserves a lot more out of life; at least a great woman by my side. I like to go out of my way to help people despite being quite poor. I even walk through thunderstorms with no umbrella and near-blizzard conditions in running shoes to get things done whether I need to or not (once did so just to buy toys for charity, for instance), and I press on regardless whether I am thanked or not.

And just a future reference thing, I don't typically like to hurt people's feelings, so if I ever seem heartless at all, I'm likely just screwing around because I like to be silly in a unique way and mean no harm whatsoever. Like, at all.

Blog Entries
    Well, howdy, Awesomov! Not sure we can help ya out with the ladies (good luck!), but we can definitely talk about science fiction/fantasy reading and/or writing. Welcome, and I hope your housing situation improves.

Hi,
    I'm mark and have been lurking for a little while. I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I've always been a fan of Horror, fantasy and sci-fi. I write a bit too. I might not be massively active but I might post short stories in the stories section of the site every now and then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bertie View Post
    Hi,
    I'm mark and have been lurking for a little while. I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I've always been a fan of Horror, fantasy and sci-fi. I write a bit too. I might not be massively active but I might post short stories in the stories section of the site every now and then.
    Hello Mark,

Glad you could join us.

Man in the High Castle Awesomov's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Well, howdy, Awesomov! Not sure we can help ya out with the ladies (good luck!), but we can definitely talk about science fiction/fantasy reading and/or writing. Welcome, and I hope your housing situation improves.
    I wouldn't expect any of that to change here anyway. I am mainly here to discuss things and possibly even post something once I finally get around to finishing anything I'm writing, but I also figure giving a bit of insight into myself could explain my own psychology and even some aspects of my stories and such.

Hello,

I am a High school science teacher who loves reading and am looking to create a new class at my school along the lines of learning biology through sci fi literature and media.
    I came here to keep up on the latest books and to pick some peoples brains on book or short story ideas that cover various biological themes that I could use to teach my class.

Looking forward to getting some great ideas!

Blog Entries
    Howdy, Sciteach45!

I see that you have found the right forum and started a new thread. Excellent! I hope you find what you need. Good luck!

This seems like an interesting and active forum so I thought I'd give it a try. I like "intellectual (though not high-brow)" science fiction, like in Contact, Childhoods End, and movies like District 9, 2001, etc. I'll admit I have yet to find any kind of fantasy I like. I'm not sure if it's ok to say this, but I just do not like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter. I also couldn't get past the first couple chapters of Foundation. I feel guilty for that because in most other regards I love Asimov. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jeavus View Post
    This seems like an interesting and active forum so I thought I'd give it a try. I like "intellectual (though not high-brow)" science fiction, like in Contact, Childhoods End, and movies like District 9, 2001, etc. I'll admit I have yet to find any kind of fantasy I like. I'm not sure if it's ok to say this, but I just do not like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter. I also couldn't get past the first couple chapters of Foundation. I feel guilty for that because in most other regards I love Asimov. Oh well.
    Howdy, Ken! We have fans of all sorts around here. I'm sure you'll find some good sci-fi book recommendations in the Science Fiction forum. Welcome.

Registered User CharlotteAshley's Avatar
    *stands awkwardly on stage*

Um, I'm Charlotte. I'm new here. >.> I'm a reader, writer, book collector, book blogger, book historian and book seller. I'm a long devotee of specfic, though, yes, I prefer the more "highbrow" examples of the genres: some of my very favourite books include Titus Groan, The Worm Ouroboros, Evangeline Walton's retelling of the Mabinogion, Stephenson's Anathem, Dune (x 6)... and I could be here all day if I really get in to this. Let's say I read a lot. I have an especially excessive collection of retellings of epics, legends, fairy tales and stories from every culture I can get my hands on. And the works of Alexandre Dumas. But that's another thing.

One of my favourite high-horses to get up on is the one where I expound a lot of the literary merits of speculative, mythic, and magical fiction. I use the term "genre ghetto" a lot. Now that nerds are cool, we should be allowed out of the ghetto, right?

Anyway, I recently decided to take a shot at being a for-real writer. I have always been a writer, and I've published non-fiction in the past, but I thought I'd take a shot at actually publishing my fiction. I have been an editor and critic for quite some time, so it seemed like a tiny step to take, initially. It has turned out to be a full-time job. But I have full-time hours to commit to it, so down that rabbit-hole I go...

There are a lot of things about me and they won't all fit here.