Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for more authors like Michael J. Sullivan

I'm almost finished with Michael J. Sullivan's The Rose and The Thorn, and, after having already read all of his other Riyria novels, I'm a bit sad to have no more Riyria, and I'm looking for more novels like these.

For me, Sullivan put the fun back in fantasy--and I want more. I'm a bit tired of the dark and gritty stuff.

Here are a few characteristics (among many) that I really appreciated about his books:

-adventurous and fun (some fantasy novels are just so depressing--not what I want)
    -characters for whom I can sympathize, even though they may be deeply flawed
    -characters that I feel like I get to know well
    -character banter and some light moments instead of being dark all the time
    -little or no swearing (I especially hate anachronistic swearing in fantasy)
    -no explicit sex (implied is fine, but some authors just get way too carried away with being explicit, and I'm not looking for that in a fantasy novel)
    -intrigue, conspiracies, and mystery
    -evocative world-building
    -good pacing (never once did I feel like it was dragging, which I do sometimes sense in other books, and read on, hoping that it will get better)

And Michael, if you happen to read this, what other authors or series would you recommend?

Thanks for any suggestions, anyone!

A couple of books come to mind, they may not hit on every point but I think they're close enough both are by Paul S. Kemp:

Hammer and the Blade
    A Discourse in Steel

Thanks, GlennG!

Doesn't matter if these suggestions fit all the criteria--just looking for something more like Sullivan's style. The current trend seems to be dark and gritty because of GRR Martin's success, and I found Sullivan's work to be refreshingly different from all that.

Off the top of my head I'd recommend The Spirit Lens, A Novel of the Collegia Magica by Carol Berg.

I just finished Theft of Swords by M Sullivan and really enjoyed it. I like that you put some examples out in your request because I would have found it difficult to simply list authors like Sullivan. I think many fantasy stories of the 80's and 90's would fit your criteria. I would recommend Shannara by Brooks, Riftwar by Feist, Belgariad/Mallorean/Tamuli/Elenium by Eddings, Dragon Prince/Dragon Star by Melanie Rawn. Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is probably too morose based on your criteria, but I really enjoyed that series... especially The Illearth War. I enjoyed the humor in Eddings books, but that is a pretty subjective thing and as the series starts off with the protagonist as a youngster... most of the humor presents itself in the later books.... really ratcheting up in the Mallorean. Also most of the humor is the banter between the suporting characters rather than Garion. I also enjoyed the humor in Abercrombie's Law of Nines.... especially Glokta (jab jab ehh.... jab jab).... but that humor is pretty dark.

RA Salvatore's earlier books seem to fit into your criteria rather nicely. Some of the banter between Regis and the other characters (notably Bruenor) provide most of the humor..... Pretty similar to the interactions of Tass and Flint from Dragonlance actually.

Anyway,
    Hope this helps. Cheers!!

I think the Tiger and Del by Jenifer Roberson books would fit your criteria. Also the Eli Moonpress books from Rachel Aaron.

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher (also his urban fantasy series, Dresden Files)

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher (also his urban fantasy series, Dresden Files)
    Wow... completely agree with that recommendation. Can't believe I forgot that one. Good call Sib.... Codex of Alera would probably be perfect for FD.

Thanks for all the suggestions, so far. I've been checking them out on Amazon. One caveat I have, and I know many will think this is silly, but when I find that a fantasy book has no map, I never buy it--I guess I feel that if the author/publisher makes no effort to show the world of the novel, why use a fantasy setting? Hard to describe, but for me, I need fantasy novels with maps.

I have read some some of the Brooks, Feist, and Eddings novels quite a while ago, and I enjoyed them, but not as much as I enjoyed Sullivan--he is such a gifted storyteller.

Codex Alera looks like it might be just what the doctor ordered--Onward to Alera!

Please feel free to continue with suggestions.
    Last edited by fuddy duddy; December 12th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.

That was actually my pet-peeve with Alera: they didn't have the map until the last book in the series!
    Fortunately, you can now get it online
    http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2009/codex-alera-map

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I've read this year an older series that I believe will satisfy fans of fantawsy less focused on the epic scale and more on characters and adventure : The Seventh Sword by Dave Duncan (starts with The Reluctant Swordman [1988]) . I understand other books by Duncan are also good fun.

I am going to add one to this list, the Eli Monpress series by Rachael Aaron. Hits all your checkpoints, and got better with each book. Plus, the five book arc is complete, no waiting.

I second Eli Monpress, a very enjoyable series of books.

I had been thinking of Eli Monpress as well, but while there's no question that the first book or two will almost certainly appeal to the op, I was a bit hesitant in recommending it as the series does get a bit darker as it progresses.

Another vote for the Eli Monpress series, as well as the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. Also, a second to Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword series...a classic. You may want to check out his King's Blades books as well. Good fun!

Brandon Sanderson's Lightbringer and Elantris come to mind (his Mistborn series, while great, doesn't quite meet your criteria IMO). In addition, you may want to try The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.