Question A Song of Ice and Fire?

I just wondered why everyone has GRR Martins A Song of Ice and Fire in their best books/series etc. list. I have soon completed book 3, and I can't see what is so great about it.
    Sometimes the book gets exciting (no, not excited, that would be bad ) and then the chapter ends before it reaches its peak of excitement, and then I won't read about that person for a hundred pages or so. And when I finally get to a chapter about that character, it was not so exciting anyway, already over or not happening at all. Its just like the author is trying to torture you. I enjoy a little torture, but it has a limit.
    And midway in book 3 part 2 it's like he just tired of the story and smashed it all to pieces, and it makes me wonder; what's the point in reading the rest of the book without the people you were really looking forward to hear about.

Sorry, but I can't see what the big fuzz's about.

And please don't ban me for this post, I know how much you worship GRRM.
    Last edited by OgreWolf; January 3rd, 2003 at 09:45 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Heh I like this guy . Yep Martin is overrated. He is in my top 5 though.

People seem to think he's more real than other authors currently writing epic fantasy. Know idea how they come by that decision though .

for me Martin's story progresses. People die in his story. And I enjoy and even root for the bad guys. Its not like here is an evil menace here to destroy all life story. Its about ruling families trying to establish their control over the other. A great touch to the story is the sublety of magic. You know its there but whats it gonna do. OMG give me feast of crows. I need it badly.

God, but I love Martin's books. From all that I have read, they are the pinnacle. His characters are full of personality, all with their own motivations, no one is entirely all good or evil, people have flaws, battles are real and brutal, the political intrigue is outstanding...need I go on? You know a story is good when the author kills a character and you're utterly floored/outraged by it.

My question for you is this - if martin is so mediocre, then what is YOUR favorite series? I'd be interested in checking it out, cuz if you say its better than Martin, its gotta be pretty damn good.

I've read Game of Thrones, and part of A Clash Of Kings and I'm very impressed with Martin. Great characters. Great plot. Game of Thrones had brilliant point of view balancing, and he's not afraid to let go of characters to serve the story. And he's grittier than Tolkien, Jordan and Feist, which is a good change.

I guess you could say Martin skirts over battles etc. but it's more a side effect of the chapter structure, which is innovative.

But I'm fairly easy to please/entertain and I don't get peeved with or dislike characters like a lot of people.

i like that every character has belivable motives. ive yet to be frustrated by characters doing stupid things or faceless powers dictating the when and where.

Martin and Jordan are probably the two most discussed authors in our forums. I am closing this topic and providing links to the older discussions

George RR / Steven Erikson ....
    Bad news for Martin fans
    Females in ASOIAF
    GRRM SPOILERS [was part of "Sex and Violence in Fanatasy Litterature"]
    Martin's "Hedge Knight" to be adapted in comic book form
    Martin or Erikson