Need a different kind of reccomendation

Hey everyone. I'm in need of a book or book series recommendation.

I've never been a huge comic book fan but I've loved super hero movies, especially Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I thought about getting into comics but it's fairly daunting due to the 60 years I've missed! A few of the things I've realized that interests me significantly about both the Marvel and DC Universes is the depth of history, large cast of characters and having them take place in our own world just with changes (superpowers obviously, gods being real, time travel, stuff like that).

With that said, can anyone recommend me a book or book series that has similar concepts to these shared universes (takes place in a world similar to ours, deep history, magic or superpowers)? Thanks!

Malazan Book of the Fallen is comic book -esque.

You need to expand your horizon. There's better lit out there than superheroes. Take it from a guy who used to work at a major comic book publisher.

Suggestions:

1. Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang
    2. Book of Five Rings
    3. Art of War
    4. Journey To The West
    5. Heaven's Lost Property

The first one is a 50-page story, but it's better than the totality of Marvel's moviesz.
    Last edited by Kzinti; August 6th, 2014 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarHeart View Post

I've never been a huge comic book fan but I've loved super hero movies, especially Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I thought about getting into comics but it's fairly daunting due to the 60 years I've missed! A few of the things I've realized that interests me significantly about both the Marvel and DC Universes is the depth of history, large cast of characters and having them take place in our own world just with changes (superpowers obviously, gods being real, time travel, stuff like that).

With that said, can anyone recommend me a book or book series that has similar concepts to these shared universes (takes place in a world similar to ours, deep history, magic or superpowers)? Thanks!
    This request is right up my area of interest.

1. Wildcards series. Shared world super-heroes edited by George RR. Martin with an impressive cast of writers and over 20 books.

2. Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia. Superheroes are distrusted in most of the world, and World War II went differently because of them. Years later, the Japanese Imperial Empire is expending again, backed by the magic of the might chairman, who has discovered how to imbue non-supers with high end power. Only a secret society of unregistered heroes stands between freedom and imperial conquest.

Wildcards is exactly what you are looking for, but the quality of the stories that comprise the shared world varies greatly, from some of the most original and memorable stuff you'll ever read, to forgettable. The Grimnoir Chronicles is therefore actually a higher recommendation -- its exciting and fun.

Cheers, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by SolarHeart View Post

I would recommend Brandon Sanderson's Steeheart. It's the start of a new series by him where people with superpowers are kind of psycotic and start taking over the world. Good book!

There's an entire world of lit outside of comic books. You should try something like Japanese manga, which is far more sophisticated than American superheroes.