2015 Writing Goals

2014 is almost in the books (even I can't escape the occasional pun), and it's that time of year when us writerly types go over what we've accomplished, what we've not accomplished, and what we've found out about ourselves as writers.

For myself, I kept good records of my daily writing habits, and actually came close to meeting the majority of my 2014 goals. I got a couple of short stories published, finished a draft of a novel, and came close to 200k words for the year.

Of course there were challenges and moments of despair, which we all have. I nearly quit writing, exasperated with the incredibly divisive genre writing community. But I realized that those other writers weren't why I was writing, and I knew there were people out there willing to read my type of fiction, so I stuck with it.

In the end, 2014 was a trying year, but that's part of the deal. The writing life isn't easy. Never has been. If you can't sacrifice hours, days and months of your life to this, then those are questions each of us have to answer. We write for ourselves, we write for each other, and we write because we have stories to tell.

What questions do you have to answer in 2015? What is it you want to learn about yourself, or what you want to show others? What do you need to happen? What do you hope happens?

Give us your living. Give us your dead. Give us your 2015 writing goals.

I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't post my goals for the next year:

• 200,000 words
    • Finalize and publish the first season of Ash and Flame, the urban fantasy serial
    • Plot out additional seasons of Ash and Flame, dependent on reception of series
    • Write three novellas of a still-secret shared world setting
    • Revise and edit first draft of weird western, push for publication in 2015
    • Begin re-writes of the Norse werewolf novel, aim for publication in late 2015-early 2016
    • Clean up my best short stories and release on Amazon as tie-ins to novels/series

Registered User CharlotteAshley's Avatar
    Hm, well, my New Year's Resolution for 2014 was to sell a short story at pro rates - and I did that. But I also wrote way, way less fiction than I intended because I took on way, way more critique/editing work than I wanted to (oh, and bought a house and moved in August,) so I know what I need to do next.

My 2015 Writing Goal is to write one short story a month, minus the couple of months a year when I know I will be dumb-swamped at work. So let's say my goal is to write 10 complete short stories in 2015. This is probably going to mean having to give up at least one of my big (unpaid) editing gigs and taking fewer of the not-well-paying-enough ones, but that's the sacrifice if I want to write. No more free labour. This year it's Pay Me Well or Leave Me Alone So I Can Write.

I'm taking your advice, Wulfen. If you want to write, you MAKE the time. My goal is to make the time.

ETA: Wtf, you have a real name now, WILSON GEIGER. When did that happen??
    Last edited by CharlotteAshley; December 10th, 2014 at 04:48 PM.

Since I obviously put rather modest goals for myself in 2014, I'm actually not that far from completing a few of them, but my crash at this time last year has been hanging over me since then. I'm just now trying to get around to actually writing fiction again. So one way to kickstart myself is getting back here and seeing how all of you are still writing away and hope that some of it rubs off on me...

Goals for 2015:

• Outline and finish middlegrade steampunk-novel
    • Submit at least eight short stories to anthologies or paying markets
    • Write 500 words per day, every day (I'll allow two days down-time per month)

sf-icionado / horr-orator Andrew Leon Hudson's Avatar
    Pretty colours:

1. Write 200,000 words sounds like a good general target to me too
    2. Self-publish one short ebook per month, from January to May
    3. Write two new Weird Western shorts and one WW novella
    4. Edit and self-publish an anthology for my writers group
    5. Write at least two additional spec fic novellas

Qualifying observations:

1. I missed this by about 40,000 in 2014 - I'd like to do better in 2015
    2. 90% complete. Ideally this will just be an editing/cover art job next year
    3. This would represent two additional ebooks, expanding the scope of Item 2
    4. This would effectively be one title more for Item 2, published in September
    5. This would represent two additional ebooks, expanding Item 2 after September

This assumes the time drain of some paid writing work (I'm with Charlotte on the "pay me if you want me" perspective). One job is already locked in for Jan-March, but if another thing doesn't happen* then I'll try and make Item 5 be three novellas, not two.

Good luck to all!

* I quoted them pretty high, so they may be put off (I almost hope so)

Here's my goals for next year (rubbing hands)
    1. Finish and submit SF Novel "Siren's Song" to my publisher by August.
    2. Hopefully finish first draft of "Storm Child" before end of December - my next installment to the world created for "Tracks"
    3. Attend conventions in Dallas, Houston, and Austin
    4. (couldn't resist) Win the EPIC E-Book Award for Best Fantasy
    5. Start thinking about what comes after "Storm Child", heh.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, Wilson, divisiveness is a given in just about any genre. We are all people with opinions.

Okay, goals!

I'm afraid to list my goals because I do so poorly when I do that (I change my mind often). So, I'm gonna try stating some rather vague yearly goals and aim to make my monthly goals very specific. So, for 2015, I will aim to (large font so that they seem more important - to me):

1. Make time (regular time, like, every single day) for writing, revising, and editing
    2. Finish the goals I set out for myself
    3. Read more for fun*

*Of course, I do that 99% of the time but sometimes when I read knowing that I intend to review, I take notes, then hum and har about how I should be reacting to a piece when all I want to do is read without thinking. I've been reading Lindsay Buroker's works and it is amazing how much fun they are to just read (I decided early on not to review them). Of course, they are just plain fun (and wacky and have way too many explosions - is that possible?).
    Last edited by N. E. White; December 11th, 2014 at 10:42 AM.

Writing goals for 2015

1) Track Productivity. Nano taught me that I do better when I have definitive goals. Iíll aim for 200 000 words (including next years nano) as well.
    2) Finish rough draft of Broken Spoke story
    3) Participate in short story contest thread with the aim of learning how to write a short story. I still havenít managed that yet. Every time I try, folks tell me it makes a better first chapter. : (
    4) Finish Duck, Duck, Goose short story Ė and try to tame it so that it doesnít turn into another novel idea.
    5) Finish outline for Broughdale (now going to be a YA novel) story.
    6) Do at least one day of critiquing per month
    7) Read for pleasure and not just for research/critiquing. Itís been almost 2 years already. I canít let it go any longer.
    8) Edit & try to find a home for Canoe Trip story assuming Cricket finally gets around to rejecting it. They've had it since August.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteAshley View Post
    Hm, well, my New Year's Resolution for 2014 was to sell a short story at pro rates - and I did that. But I also wrote way, way less fiction than I intended because I took on way, way more critique/editing work than I wanted to (oh, and bought a house and moved in August,) so I know what I need to do next.

My 2015 Writing Goal is to write one short story a month, minus the couple of months a year when I know I will be dumb-swamped at work. So let's say my goal is to write 10 complete short stories in 2015. This is probably going to mean having to give up at least one of my big (unpaid) editing gigs and taking fewer of the not-well-paying-enough ones, but that's the sacrifice if I want to write. No more free labour. This year it's Pay Me Well or Leave Me Alone So I Can Write.

I'm taking your advice, Wulfen. If you want to write, you MAKE the time. My goal is to make the time.

ETA: Wtf, you have a real name now, WILSON GEIGER. When did that happen??
    That sounds awesome, Charlotte. I have no doubt it will be worth it for you, because you're already a great writer.

PS: Wulfen/Wilson, whatever. I figured it was time to join the ranks of the non-anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by N. E. White View Post
    Ah, Wilson, divisiveness is a given in just about any genre. We are all people with opinions.
    Very true. But you know what they say about seeing things from the inside. It's an ugly, ugly business, where a few well-placed opinions can ruin your career. Or try to.

*Lindsay Buroker is all sorts of awesome. I have yet to read her fiction, but I've got a couple of her books on the TBR pile. She's a saint for her self-publishing advice.

2014 turned out quite a bit differently than I had expected. I didn't have nearly as high of a word as 2013, and only managed to finish one book (on the final chapter right now). Instead, I wrote more short stories and focused almost entirely on one novel. I had two stories published, which was unexpected on both counts, and chose a pen name and created a website. So I'm a little hesitant to be overly specific here, but I'll give it a shot.

1. Revise pirate novel and submit.
    2. Finish first draft of Ashwalker novel.
    3. Outline and begin writing next novel.
    4. Continue submitting and revising short stories already in circulation.

2015 will be the year I begin submitting novels to agents. This month marks two years writerversary (that's a thing, right?). My original goal was that I would submit at least one novel inside of three years. That final year is upon me and it'd be real nice if I could up that goal to two novels.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. Carelli View Post
    1. Revise pirate novel and submit.
    2. Finish first draft of Ashwalker novel.
    3. Outline and begin writing next novel.
    4. Continue submitting and revising short stories already in circulation.
    Are you two planning on submitting your pirate novel to agents, or are you going to self-publish? I'm solidly on the self-publishing fence for most of my work, so I'm curious to see how the process goes for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Geiger View Post
    Are you two planning on submitting your pirate novel to agents, or are you going to self-publish? I'm solidly on the self-publishing fence for most of my work, so I'm curious to see how the process goes for you.
    Agents. With me living outside the U.S., time for marketing and whatnot is a large factor. With that said, who knows what the future will bring.