Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I was searching (either at google or askjeeves) for places accepting short story submissions. I was really looking for a magazine site or Webzine, I had never joined or even visited a forum before... I thought it was all 50 year old men pretending to be 14 to talk dirty to girls!!!

Lurked for a bit and thought what a great idea a forum is for getting critique etc. Then, met great people, fell in love, got published, got heart ripped out and the rest is history LOL.

Cadfael
    It was in the dark days of a fledgling SFF... when we only had 4 members.... Dag, Zedd, Fitzflagg and Shehzad.

I was just walking past when they all jumped me and dragged me in, pressed a shilling in my hands... and chained me to the wall.

Those days are past now... with nearly 2000 members they no longer need to kidnap passers by.

Seriously... I was just sirfing Fantasy book site, and found this.

Cadfael
    *cough cough* FltzFlagg... read this... *cough cough*

Originally posted by fluffy bunny
    A lot of people have answered this: http://www.sffworld.org/forums/showt...&threadid=4117 in general discussion, but post away
    Well... oh pedantic one??

As seems to be the norm, I did a search (yahoo I believe) looking for a forum on fantasy books. I had recently started reading fantasy again after a number of years of reading nothing but books for school. I had finished Martin's SOIaF and Jordan's Wheel of Time books and desired some more good fantasy. I stumbled onto this page, found many great suggestions and love the site.

Originally posted by Cadfael
    *cough cough* FltzFlagg... read this... *cough cough*

Well... oh pedantic one??

Excuse me "A Dragon" but I rarely go into GD anymore.

I was doing author searches on google. I clicked link after link and eventually landed here. I lurked around for a while before posting and then got up my nerve to introduce myself. Of course I was asking for books that were my style and I of course got re-directed to older threads with recommendations. Thus, my existence here began like many others. Humiliation = Initiation .

Like Trent, I have no friends that read as avidly as I do (pretty sad since I am a librarian!). I clearly remember specifically what drove me out onto the internet to find like minded folks to chat with. I had just finished Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings and I found it so completely horrible that I felt that if I wasn't able to bitch about it, I would just burst! So, that was my first post, and I was relieved to find many people who agreed with me.

You haven't been able to get rid of me since! I see no reason to seek out any other forums because I think there's a diversity of views to keep me entertained and reading!

Warrior Assasin
    i found out about this site because i was searching google for a site with a lot of fantasy short stories, and this great site popped up so i took a look at it. i am impressed. i just looked around for about 3 months before i actually signed up

Google also brought me here. I was searching for fantasy sites in order to find new authors- I needed something to tide me over since my favorites seem to be caught in the same publishing cycle...

Someone asked for suggestions for a Fantasy forum on another forum I'm a member of (www.thedvdforums.com), so seeing as I've been reading fantasy novels (and like fantasy films/PC games) for nearly 30 years, I thought I'd pop along

I found this site on Google Directory. But I'm sure I had already come here before, looking for book reviews.

I was searching for Science Fiction sites and found this one. I don't usually join message boards but this one was different from most of them I'd seen. It's more adult, intelligent, and international. I love that. Glad to be here (even if it's only intermittantly).

Susan

My friend told me about the place and that way got me started

well i'm a member of my school's online newspaper (check my profile for the link and please visit ... shameless advertising much??)
    and i was just typing in random URLs in since i was bored, as happens quite frequently in class, happened upon this and lurked here for a little while. like juzzza i had certain uh message board stereotypes but this one seemed pretty safe so i joined up eventually

oh my god the worms eating my brain somebody please help me
    i'd abandoned fantasy/sci fi novels some years ago, and found myself picking them back up after a renewed interest in CRPGS. i believe i was looking for reviews of forgotten realms books (r.a. salvatore) but after finding these forums, I've moved on to less restrictive fantasy worlds.

oh yeah, google.