Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Recommendations

David Weber himself has said the first three books (On Basilisk Station, The Honor of the Queen & The Short Victorious War) form the first 'trilogy' of Honorverse. He intends the reader to start with On Basilisk Station, not The Honor of the Queen. Modesitt is exactly the same with most of his fantasy series - whilst you can arguably jump in at any point, he intends you to start with the first of each (The Magic of Recluce for The Saga of Recluce, Legacies for The Corean Chronicles, The Soprano Sorceress for The Spellsong Cycle and finally Imager for The Imager Portfolio).

From what I remember, The Honor of the Queen refers to the first book numerous times, so it'd be madness not to read On Basilisk Station first, because if there's one thing you don't need with a Weber book, it's added confusion.

I am rather partial to a new book, just out in October of this year -- EXOPHOBE. There are details at www.exophobe.com. I understand the ebook version is due out in early December. Very entertaining and not "in your face" sci-fi.

And You are an author of this book?

Charged as Guilty

Quote Originally Posted by bio View Post
    And You are an author of this book?
    The author's genetics and mine are remarkably similar.

the Rake
    Then kindly put it on the promotion board. Popping in for a single post to recommend one's own work is viewed unfavorably in these parts.

I think we are having a bit of a disagreement over slippery semantics. My argument is that an honest recommendation differs from a mere promotion. If an author places such a mean value upon their own work that they cannot vouchsafe a recommendation with true candor, what compelling promotion could overcome such obstacles of content and meaning? If I have offended anyone, I profess my imperfections. And, yet, you have judged the action without assessing the derivative linkage of that action -- das Ding an sich -- the thing itself (e.g., the book). The only solution to such an imbroglio is that I earn your trust through analysis of this and other relevant recommendations, or I immediately leave this thread. I hope you have the forbearance to embrace the former without preemptively suggesting the latter. I will, as a rational being, abide my the will of the general assembly. Thanks for the ear!

I recently read "Ready Player One" by Austin writer Ernie Cline. I understand Warner Brothers bought the film rights to it back in 2010 -- that might be good, that might be bad -- many books are far superior to the film version. If you are a fan of science fiction and a big gamer, this book is quite intriguing and very much worth a look. If you are not a gamer, well, the references and inner working of the book will not strike a resonant chord.

A Recommedation Seeking a Recommendation

I am working on additional recommendations, but there is so much effluvia to wade through it is not easy. Will advise...
    Last edited by enoch_maarduk; November 22nd, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch_maarduk View Post
    I think we are having a bit of a disagreement over slippery semantics. My argument is that an honest recommendation differs from a mere promotion. If an author places such a mean value upon their own work that they cannot vouchsafe a recommendation with true candor, what compelling promotion could overcome such obstacles of content and meaning? If I have offended anyone, I profess my imperfections. And, yet, you have judged the action without assessing the derivative linkage of that action -- das Ding an sich -- the thing itself (e.g., the book). The only solution to such an imbroglio is that I earn your trust through analysis of this and other relevant recommendations, or I immediately leave this thread. I hope you have the forbearance to embrace the former without preemptively suggesting the latter. I will, as a rational being, abide my the will of the general assembly. Thanks for the ear!
    Well, rather simply put, we have a(n un)spoken rule on this board that any and all self-promotion belongs in the Promotion Zone. We see otherwise as being against the spirit of the board, especially when you act as if you're not the author. It's just dishonest.

A Rose By Any Other Name

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Well, rather simply put, we have a(n un)spoken rule on this board that any and all self-promotion belongs in the Promotion Zone. We see otherwise as being against the spirit of the board, especially when you act as if you're not the author. It's just dishonest.
    Alas, methinks thou dost me a grand injustice -- my original post was merely a straight-forward recommendation. No dishonesty was intended nor implied -- if it was interpreted in such a fashion then the fault is in my rendition, not my intent. Enoch Maarduk is the author of the book in question -- and though merely a character in the book -- he seems as real to me as you whom I have never met and can only infer actual existence from through the digital ether. I can see this whole topic is a touchy subject and will refrain from any recommendations that might smack of self-aggrandizement. Lovely weather we're having today...