Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations

Altered Carbon-Richard Morgan
    Ilium & Olympos-Dan Simmons
    Hyperion Cantos-Dan Simmons
    Pushing Ice-Alastair Reynalds
    Recursion & Capacity-Tony Ballantyne

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Artist Moderator Ariana's Avatar
    Oh and also 'Songbirds of Pain' by Orson Scott Card too!!! Short story but really good!
    Hugs
    Ariana

Hi I have been lurking around here for a while, looking for sci-fi that I might like. My favorite books are:

Snow Crash by, Neal Stephenson
    Diamond Age by, Neal Stephenson
    The Lost Fleet series by, John G. Hemry
    Robert A. Heinlein (I have read almost all of his works. Excluding his early works)
    Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy by, Douglas Adams (done all of his works)

books that I also liked:

Neuromancer by, William Gibson
    The Left Hand of Darkness by, Ursula K Le Guin
    The Forever War by, Joe Haldeman

Other scifi that I have also read:

Ender's Game by, Orson Scott Card (I have read the whole Enders saga. I liked the style, but the content is bit naive)
    UBIK by, Philip K Dick

What do you recommend? I would like to read something in Postcyberpunk genre, but haven't found any that match Neal Stephenson's work. I would appreciate suggestions in any other sub genres.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Artist Moderator Ariana's Avatar
    Hi festerbester,
    I have an older novel that is really interesting post apocalyptic and not so much cyberpunk, but sort of an early direction of that. Courtship Rite by Donald R. Kingsbury. Very different and I like that novel a lot.

I agree on Enders Game being a bit predictable to me at least I saw the premise clearly long before it was "revealled" to the reader.

I have been away from reading due to being engrossed in doing art for a few years so I too, love the CyberPunk genre, and would appreciate any good novels or story reccomendations!

Hugs
    Ariana

Favourites

The first science fiction book I can remember reading was The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov, still have it.
    Others I've enjoyed and still read are
    Way Station Clifford Simak
    The Diamond Age and Snow Crash Neal Stephenson
    The Color of Distance and Through Alien Eyes Amy Thompson
    Tuf Voyaging George R R Martin
    The Watch Dennis Danvers
    Nocturne for a Dangerous Man Marc Matz ( As far as I know he only ever did one book which is a pity as it's a good read )
    The Sector General series by James White
    House of Reeds and Wasteland of Flint by Thomas Harlan
    Otherland series by Tad Williams
    Maybe I'm a touch old fashioned but there is something special about seeing a shelf full of books and holding a favourite in your hand, that you just don't get with electronic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Festerbester View Post
    What do you recommend? I would like to read something in Postcyberpunk genre, but haven't found any that match Neal Stephenson's work. I would appreciate suggestions in any other sub genres.
    Try "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross; he's one of my favourite writers. Read an excerpt here.

Talking Odd Science Fiction Book

One of my favourites is "The Season of Passage" by Christopher Pike. Like "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson it's a good combination-of-genres-book.

I'm new here.. but, well, thought I'd share my favourites:

The Crystal World by J.G. Ballard
    Mockingbird by Walter Tevis
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Child Garden by Geoff Ryman
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham

And as for newer stuff, I really loved Justina Robson's Natural History, Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space books, but especially Redemption Ark, and Ted Chiang's book of short stories was amazing!

Oh and also Light by M John Harrison
    Last edited by MMerle; September 21st, 2008 at 09:58 PM.

Hey guys,
    I recently read the following books and they proved to be worthy of being recommended:
    Hominids by RJ Sawyer (swallowed it in a day and getting ready to read the sequels)
    Free Falling by LM Bujold (loosely connected to Miles Vorkosigan and very good)
    Spin by RC Wilson (excellent SF with a touch of family drama)
    Old Man's War by J Scalzi (space opera with good characters and interesting plot).

As regards the books that I read some time ago and really liked, off the top of my head I could single out
    Le Guin - Left had of Darkness, the Dispossessed etc.
    Simmons - Hyperion and Ilium
    Asimov - Gods Themselves, Foundation,
    Matheson - I am legend,
    Card - the Ender saga
    Herbert - the Dune saga
    Pohl - the Heechee saga
    Priest - Inverted World
    McIntyre - Dreamsnake

More Recomendations

I am fairly new to the Fantasy/Sci-fi book world but here is what I have read and enjoyed thus far:
    Read:

1. Eragon Cycle - Christopher Paolini...well the 3 books currently out.
    2. The Dark Elf Trilogy - R.A. Salvatore
    3. The Demon Trilogy - R.A. Salvatore
    4. The Belgariad (5 books)- David Eddings (Was the first I ever read and it was awesome)
    5. The Mallorean (5 books) - David Eddings (A lot of the same characters from the belgariad but new story and like 10 years later)
    6. Allegiance - Timothy Zahn
    7. Phantom Menace - Terry Brooks
    8. Labyrinth of Evil - James Luceno
    9. Attack of the Clones - R.A. Salvatore
    10. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton (I highly suggest especially if you love the film, it adds so much more)

Currently Reading:

Saga of Recluse - L.E. Modesitt (Recommended by my father-in-law which is really cool!)
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    Dresdan Files - Jim Butcher
    Prey - Michael Crichton
    Next - Michael Crichton

I'm really looking for some good series to jump into and what to avoid as most series can be long and boring.

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    I recently read Someone Comes to Town and Someone Leaves Town by Cory Doctorow. It's not quite SciFi and it's not quite fantasy...like most of Doctorow's work, it is something else. I give it two thumbs up.

I've always been a huge fan of Frank Herbert (I read him annually) and Timothy Zahn to be honest. Recently I found a new author called Randolph Lalonde, and he's my go to scribe for fast paced science fiction now. Great characters, fantastic universe, really well thought out plotlines. He has two series out right now, the first is the First Light Chronicles and the other is Spinward Fringe. I have to say my favourite book in the whole series is Spinward Fringe Triton, can't wait for the next one to come out!

Fav's:

Randolph Lalonde
    Frank Herbert
    Timothy Zahn
    George RR Martin (for when I'm in the mood for some fantasy)

Doug!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskdog View Post
    Altered Carbon-Richard Morgan
    Ilium & Olympos-Dan Simmons
    Hyperion Cantos-Dan Simmons
    Pushing Ice-Alastair Reynalds
    Recursion & Capacity-Tony Ballantyne

I came here to post Altered Carbon. It's great, and so are the other two in the Takeshi Kovacs series (Broken Angels, Woken Furies).

I'd recommend also, since I don't see it on the last few pages, the Evergence series (Sean Williams & Shane Dix). It has a classic formula so it's not too groundbreaking, but it's "just right" in the way of being readable and keeping your attention. If you enjoy the first book (The Prodigal Sun) the other two will probably be fun to read, too (The Dying Light, The Dark Imbalance).

Spin (by Robert Charles Wilson) is also a good read, but it will leave you wanting more (I have read that there will be two more in the series). But it does diverge and drone on in parts, so if you want continual action you might just be prepared for that.

And of course who could forget Kim Stanley Robinsons Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars triology. But I would be that one has come up in here quite a few times!

Talking The well that I drink from

Thank you for allowing me to let people know what books that I currently have read in my lifetime. I know that it may seem like I haven't read as many when compared to some of the others, but I do read when I can. I hope that you find my selection good enough to please even the hardiest of science fiction readers.

1. Total Recall by Piers Anthony
    2. The Sun Cycle by Eric Van Lustbader
    3. Logans Run by William F. Nolan
    4. Logans World by William F. Nolan
    5. Logans Search by William F. Nolan
    6. Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn
    7. Heir To The Empire by Timothy Zahn
    8. The Emporers' Last Command by Timothy Zahn
    9. The Star Explorer: The Discovery by Mr. Shannon Lejuan Clements
    10. Star Trek: Make It So by Wess Roberts and Bill Ross

Quote Originally Posted by joshcryer View Post
    I came here to post Altered Carbon. It's great, and so are the other two in the Takeshi Kovacs series (Broken Angels, Woken Furies).

I FINALLY read Altered Carbon last month, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I've read several reviews of Broken Angels that said it was a real letdown in comparison. Not only does the genre shift from "hardboiled SF" to "military SF", but supposedly the writing became a bit hackneyed as if the author phoned that one in. Would you not agree that this was a sophomore slump? I liked Altered Carbon so much and I don't want to be disappointed with the sequel.