Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I earliest stuff I read was by a guy called Nicolas Fisk, his best ones are "Space Hostages" and "Grinny" they are specifically written for under 12s I think and would edfinatly be in the childrens section of enemy library.

His stuff was first published in the 80s I think, don't know how easy it would be to get hold of now.

Oh, I read Tunnel In the Sky quite recently and I quite enjoyed it, and I would also reccommend it for a younger audiance.

I remember enjoying the Tripod series by John Christopher and was going to recommend it but Randal beat me to it. I think they have all been recently reissued, as its the 35th anniversary of The White Mountains (the first book in the series), so if you're interested they should be easy to come by.

Here's where I abandon any claim to good taste... Douglas Hill has written a bunch of books for kids (Last Legionary, Blade of the Poisoner, a series about kids marooned on a worm-infested planet). Now, looking back on them I suspect their literary content is low, but as a kid I absolutely loved them. The books have lots of fighting and goodies/baddies stuff, but ... they were great ! (have you ever tried to reread Enid Blyton ?). I particularly recommend the Blade of the Poisoner series. Also, there's a very dark book called the Silver Citadel by Anthony Horowitz. If you're not worried about giving your kids complexes, it's great (I read it around the age of 10). It's all about drugs/death/paranormal.

Your kids are welcome to sue me in 20 years or so :-)

and yes, the Tripods series were great. Nicholas Fisk also wrote some good stuff.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Oooh this thread is still going... thank you, thank you.

You wouldn't believe the amount of kids that come to my class thinking they can write Harry Potter and Charmed type stories...

My boss even looked at my list and suggested I add a straight fantasy tale to it!

I tell you, it's not too hard being a Science Fiction expert in today's world!

The Ender Saga is good, I am under twelve and Enders Game is my favourite book.

I always recommend Ender even though it is a little dark at times.

What about Snow Crash? Have you read that? I'm a little reluctant to recommend it because of the weird sex scene... but it really is fantastic writing and an incredible plot.

Well that's interesting.... Several people recommended Ender's Game when i was after recommendations for my 9 yr old brother (Books for Boys thread in Fantasy) and - having read it recently - I assumed it was too grown up, and too slow - that he would find it boring.

When did you read it, Icemant? I'd really like a younger person's point of view on this one.

I know a few nine year olds and I think Ender is a couple of years beyond them yet. Even Artemis Fowl is a little complex yet.

Margaret Mahy has some fantastic Universe hopping stories that are great for nine year olds. Catherine Jinks' has some that are slightly harder.

There seems to be more fantasy for this age group. They all seem to be into the Deltora Quests and Rowan of Rin.

Well here's the thing. Let your brother decide what's boring and above him. If his reading comprehension is as you say, then he may understand and enjoy Ender and some of the other books. The fun thing about reading books above you is that they stretch your imagination, and when you re-read them, you find things you missed before.

If he gets bored, he can move on to the next one, but Ender's Game is pretty exciting (as I remember it).

Susan

I recommend "The Runaway Robot" by Lester Del Rey. I read it as a kid, it's a "Scholastic" book,and remembered liking it a lot.

Now as an aged individual , I acquired a used copy (don't think it's currently in print).
    I read the book (it took 4 minutes) , I liked it so much I'm looking forward to reading it again!!
    Warm, fun, robot story!!
    Wish I had a kid to read it to!!

PS: I checked it out over at Amazon, and apparently there are a number of people who share my affection for the book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...stomer-reviews

Last edited by ArthurFrayn; September 9th, 2003 at 10:58 PM.

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    Originally posted by Sammie
    Well that's interesting.... Several people recommended Ender's Game when i was after recommendations for my 9 yr old brother (Books for Boys thread in Fantasy) and - having read it recently - I assumed it was too grown up, and too slow - that he would find it boring.

When did you read it, Icemant? I'd really like a younger person's point of view on this one.
    I read ender's game when I was 13 and loved it. The only thing people may take offense at is the name of the alien race Earth's at war with

Kids mature differently but I tend to think kids should still start young and then work up... not just leap straight into Ender's Game at 9. What's the rush? There's heaps of good stuff out there. What if they aim too high too early and get disheartened? Let them cruise. The books aren't going anywhere. ArthurF has wonderful memories of his early sf and that isn't a novel.

Kids should tackle adult books(well, some anyway ),as it's been said above, IF THEY WANT TO. I read kid's books and sometimes took on things like Verne's"From the Earth to the Moon" when I was a 7 or 8. The librarian said to my mother: "Are you sure you want him to read this?It's for an adult." "From the Earth to the Moon"!! Jeez! What was going to happen to me when I read that?!So what if I didn't understand it all? Something like that can be a rewarding challenge regardless if the kid wants to do it.
    On the other hand, it's important that kids not miss out on the joys of juvenile lit. It turns out that some of it is better than adult lit!

BTW,other juvenile SF/Fantasy books I remember enjoying when I was a kid were the Mushroom Planet books by Eleanor Cameron.remember them being fun."Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet" was the first one I read.
    They are drug free tales despite what the titles might lead you to expect. I have to get a hold of one now and see if they hold up.

Also, even though they're fantasy, not SF, I think CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia are a must for any reading kid.

One more thing: I'm not sure I'd give a kid Ender's Game to read. I'd have a fear of him putting some other kid in the hospital, and then telling you he had to "beat him deep" by way of an explanation.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; September 21st, 2003 at 12:36 AM.

These books by Eleanor Cameron are wonderful for younger children. My seven year old is reading the first one now, and enjoying it tremendously.

Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet
    Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet

I wish there was more SF literature out there for the youngest independent readers, especially for girls. Lots of fantasy available for younger kids, but not so much SF.

WOW! A ten year old thread.

I read this when I was 9.

Star Surgeon (1959) by Alan E. Nourse
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Surgeon-A.../dp/1598180657
    http://www.magick7.com/1/MoonlightSt...2/407/2912.htm
    http://librivox.org/star-surgeon-by-alan-edward-nourse/
    http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=1299

Now it's free and comes as an audiobook for free.

psik