Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Best vampire novels?

What are the best vampire novels? I have read the Dracula series that was written by Fred Saberhagen and I loved those books. I want to read some with good plots and good character development. Thank you for any suggestions.

Salem's Lot by Stephen King is an excellent vampire novel. I read it a few years back, so I don't remember much of the plot details. Salem's Lot is one of his better novels and is worth a try.

Publisher & Editor Clarkesworld's Avatar
    I know a lot of people who'll won't agree with me on this, but I really like Dan Simmon's Carrion Comfort. I was really against reading anymore vampire stories until that one hit my desk.

Clarkie, that's a good one, but I personally think Simmons Children of the Night is a better vampire novel. Think Dracula in modern times and the AIDS virus. Good stuff.

Perhaps the best is Richard Matheson's I Am Legend.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles can go from superb to bland, some of the better ones though are:

Interview with the vampire
    Lestat
    Memnoch The Devil

I also loved the movie novel for Bran Stoker's Dracula, it wasn't actually Bram's work, it was based on the movie, I really enjoyed it.

Also I read a great book about Lord Lucon being a vampire I think, sorry can't remember the title but it was excellent, nearly made me cry ~ never happened from reading a book yet.

Originally posted by juzzza
    Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles can go from superb to bland, some of the better ones though are:

Interview with the vampire
    Lestat
    Memnoch The Devil

I also loved the movie novel for Bran Stoker's Dracula, it wasn't actually Bram's work, it was based on the movie, I really enjoyed it.

Also I read a great book about Lord Lucon being a vampire I think, sorry can't remember the title but it was excellent, nearly made me cry ~ never happened from reading a book yet.
    Who was the author of the movie version of Dracula?

Good call on Matheson's I AM LEGEND. Read that so long ago it just didn't cross my mind. Definitely have to put that way up on the list.

Originally posted by Clarkesworld
    Good call on Matheson's I AM LEGEND. Read that so long ago it just didn't cross my mind. Definitely have to put that way up on the list.
    Wasn't there a movie based on that novel? I think it was called "The Last Man on Earth." It starred Vincent Price.

Wasn't there a movie based on that novel? I think it was called "The Last Man on Earth." It starred Vincent Price.
    Yes, that was the first movie. It was also the basis of The Omega Man, but that was hardly faithful to the book.

Originally posted by Angelique

Yes, and it was also the basis for the movie The Omega Man - words of advice: COMPLETELY IGNORE THOSE MOVIES AND READ THE BOOK!!!

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    I am Legend
    Interview with the vampire (though I'm not convinced by the rest of the trilogy)

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Originally posted by fluffy bunny
    Interview with the vampire (though I'm not convinced by the rest of the trilogy)

There's about 7or 8 now!!!

The best IMHO is number 5, Memnoch the Devil.

The one's I remember are:

Interview with the Vampire
    Lestat
    Queen of the Damned
    The Vampire Armand
    The tale of the body thief
    Memnoch the devil

and two I can't even name.

Originally posted by FitzFlagg

Yes, and it was also the basis for the movie The Omega Man - words of advice: COMPLETELY IGNORE THOSE MOVIES AND READ THE BOOK!!!
    I'm glad that it's not faithful to the book. I had hoped it would be much better than the movie was.

Originally posted by Angelique
    What are the best vampire novels? I have read the Dracula series that was written by Fred Saberhagen and I loved those books. I want to read some with good plots and good character development. Thank you for any suggestions.
    Those Who Hunt the Night
    Travelling with the Dead both by Barbara Hambly

The Kiss of the Vampire (republished as) The Night Inside
    Blood and Chrysanthemums both by Nancy Baker

The Vampire Tapestry, by Suzy Mckee Charnas

Lost Souls, by Poppy Z. Brite

Anita Blake Vampire Hunter

1 (Guilty Pleasures) -7 (Burnt Offerings). I can't recommend the next 3, but the latest, Cerulean Sins, is good. You WILL be lost skipping 3 however - they need to be read in order. by Laurell K. Hamilton

In The Time of Feasting
    Darklost
    More Than Mortal
    Underland (have yet to read this cause its in HC)

by Mick Farren

Ancestral Hungers, by Scott Baker

Midnight Blue: The Sonja Blue Collection
    A Dozen Black Roses
    Darkest Heart by Nancy Collins

Blood Brothers, by Brian Lumley

This starts a new trilogy in his Necroscope series (in which vampires are the bad guys). This one takes you more into the vampire's lives. Not sure if you will be confused if you haven't read from the beginning.

The rest of the Necroscope series is ok, but vamps are just walk on bad guys.

The Children of the Night, by Dan Simmons

The St. Germain Chronicles: 1-Hotel Transylvania
    There are a whole bunch of these, and a parallel series about a vampire named Olivia. She does good Historical Fiction settings, and writing but they were too bland for me.
    by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

In Terms of Anne Rice's Vampires:

I think the Tale of the Body Thief is the best of the lot, but you need some of the stuff from earlier books.

Some of these are out of print. Almost all should be in Paperback, except Cerulean Sins which was just published 4/1/03, and Underland published in 11/02

Good Luck, and Enjoy

I don't think anyone so far has mentioned John Steakley's 'Vampire$', which spawned the terrible John Carpenter movie.

The novel is pulpy, gory and fun. Though Steakley's writing style is ... er... unconventional.